Rest Admin API - Partial Refund issued with Gift Card

Highlighted
2 0 0
We are using Shopify Rest Admin API to retrieve the sales data by store and hour.

However, whenever it is a partial refund, we are unable to determine if refund is issued with Gift Card or other method of payment. Our client use Shopify report and that report excludes the refunds issues with Gift Card and hence, we would like to do same.

Could you please help on how to determine whether a refund is issued with Gift Card or other methods of payment?
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
202 23 22

Hi @Kepler 

What API endpoint are you utilizing? Once I know that I can help advise how to look up the details of the refund transaction. For example, Utilizing the Refund API you will get a transaction object back such as: 

"transactions": [
        {
          "id": 1234567,
          "order_id": 7654321,
          "kind": "refund",
          "gateway": "gift_card",
          "status": "success",

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi Vix, 

We are using the following API endpoint: https://scanlantheodore.myshopify.com/admin/api/2019-04/orders.json?fields=id,created_at,updated_at,...

The issue is that there are some partial refunds issued with Gift Card which Shopify reports exclude but as we are unable to determine the difference between partial refunds issues with and without Gift Card. Here are some examples:

As an example, refunds in these orders are being included in Shopify report: 1384027488355 and 1376013647971. However, refunds in this order are being excluded from Shopify report: 1327075721315.

Could you please help determine when to include refunds in a partial refund order and when to exclude?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
202 23 22

Hey @Kepler 

Thanks for sending the info over. In regards to what is appearing in a report vs. being excluded it would be best to speak with our support team. They will be able to review your reports with you to determine the differences in the orders. My advice would be to look at the transaction of the order to be able to determine if there was an exchange for credit or not. 

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes