Restrict API generated gift card at one collection

al404it
Excursionist
25 0 2

We have a private App that creates Gift Cards via API but we also need that those gift card would be restricted to some products or a collection.

I can't find in API documentation a way to restrict the Gift Card to one collection, is it possible?

Any work around? 

0 Likes
Jason
Shopify Expert
10354 155 1989

No.

Are you able to give context on why you need that? Perhaps there's another approach.

Since a Gift Card is a payment method on checkout, it doesn't have the same restrictions of use that you might see with a discount code. 

I jump on these forums to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work.

Don't hand out staff invites or give admin password to forum members unless absolutely needed. In most cases the help you need can be handled without that.

★ http://freakdesign.com.au ★
al404it
Excursionist
25 0 2

I can't goo too deep 

But we need to use gift cards, we can't use discount codes.

We also need to have only some products that can be bought via gift card, they can be identify by tag or collection.

0 Likes
Jason
Shopify Expert
10354 155 1989

Gift cards don't give you abilities to restrict how they are used. Once a customer has them they can be used on anything. That is by design.

Can't go into more specifics as we are not getting into details but this path doesn't sound like the right one for the need you're trying to meet. 

There's possible approaches you could look into with checkout.liquid access should be you on the Plus plan.

I jump on these forums to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work.

Don't hand out staff invites or give admin password to forum members unless absolutely needed. In most cases the help you need can be handled without that.

★ http://freakdesign.com.au ★
Neomi_av
Shopify Partner
163 2 12

Hi @al404it, I'm Neomi from the Rise.ai app,

Not sure which app you are using, but if you switch to Rise you could easily create limited gift cards that will apply only to a specific product or collection (based on id's).

Checkout our listing page and feel free to contact me at info@rise.ai

0 Likes
al404it
Excursionist
25 0 2

Hi,

Is your gift card an external payment method or is based on Shopify gift card credit?

Is possible to create a gift card via API?

Thanks

0 Likes
Neomi_av
Shopify Partner
163 2 12

Our gift cards are based on Shopify gift card,

Using our API you can't create limited gift cards but you can create them through our bulk gift card tool using a CSV upload.

do you think it can work for you?

0 Likes
al404it
Excursionist
25 0 2

No is not working for us because we need to create via API gift cards that can be used only inside a collection

0 Likes