Return API

Solved
shikha_j
2 0 0

Hi Guys,

I am new to Shopify and searching for the Return API to get all the customer requested returns for the order items. I could not find any APIs related to Return.

I am confused between Return and Refund. Here are my few questions:

1. Is there any API supported for returns requested from Customer (Get/Create/Update APIs)? If yes, please share the reference document or endpoint.
  2. What is Refund in Shopify? Is it the same as Return?

Please help me with this.

Thanks in advance!!

Shikha

0 Likes
vix
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
534 105 103

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @shikha_j 

When you refund an item, you have the option of doing a restock if this was a return.

1. There is no API endpoint for a customer generated return. You can look into our apps for this process if needed. 

2. Here is the documentation on what a refund is: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/refund-cancel-order

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

shikha_j
2 0 0

Thanks for the help!!

0 Likes
florinanghel
Shopify Partner
102 15 17

I see some new returns functionality was recently added. Its nice to be able to mark products as returned and stuff. Is this also available via api?

0 Likes
David_Renwick
17 0 0

Just following up on this to see if I understand this correctly and to see if this has changed since the original post.

So there is no API to;

• Set an order status to "Return in progress" as shown in the Orders page under the 'Open' list. See here; Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 14.35.44.png
  • Therefore no other API to move the order through the return process i.e mark it as Returned?
  • No API either to query the returned status?

Is there anyplace I can go see that information programatically ? Is it stored in meta-data for the order?

0 Likes
BogdanGhervan
1 0 1

I am also interested to learn the answer to David's question.

florinanghel
Shopify Partner
102 15 17

I checked if its stored in order metadata and it is not.

0 Likes
Gordon_Chan
Shopify Expert
17 0 5

Just to follow the thread to see if any Shopify representative can share any update for Order Return API, as we encounter this situation for a plus merchant.

The behavior on user flow vs API flow is very different.

http://gordon-chan.net
I am a Freelance Web Engineer. Dedicated my life to e-commerce development.
0 Likes

Also interested in having access to an order return API! Now that Shopify is offering the functionality in the back-office, we would like to use it in connection with a 3PL.

Shopify​,​ Shopify Plus and Shopify POS Consultant & Trainer
"If it's good for you, it's good for me."
0 Likes
Andthink
2 0 0

We are interested in RETURN api access too, it will allow us to integrate with our warehouse software nicely.

0 Likes