Segment Products to Show in App and Hide in web store

Highlighted
Tourist
23 0 3
Say I have a proxy app that I want to list a bunch of products in a unique way and I have some crazy functionality for that list. And say that awesome functionality would be rendered useless if someone were able to buy them through the regular cart instead of the Proxy app.

Other than hacking themes with a bunch of conditionals, how would an app developer make sure those products didn’t show up anywhere else in the shop except for within the proxy app?

The only way I could come up with was by making the proxy app a sales channel. Then you could put it on there and uncheck the web store. The challenge is that this seems like it wouldn’t pass to get onto the App Store.

Is there any other way, non theme hackey to get the same ease of management?

I hope I’ve described the scenario well enough. Turning products on in the app, but off on the web store. Because if left in the web store, the app couldn’t do it's job 100%, which in this case, it has to because shop owners are already dealing with unsatisfied customers and I am holding this app to the highest standards because the shop owners deserve it.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I’ll build out the marketplace which is eventually coming anyway, but because it really isn’t necessary to be a separate entity for shops to get the core use out of it, I hope there is a way this can be done without needing to build that out. Again, I will if I have to. Many shops need this app for Black Friday sales.

Thanks!!!

Phil
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
916 96 149

The only option that comes to my mind is to have a client side (JavaScript) redirect happening for "restricted" products when the product details page is opened (match on a special tag, or even match on product IDs). You can redirect the customers to your proxy app.

But yeah, if you don't want them to show up anywhere on the site, the only "solution" are the conditionals all over the theme files.

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
0 Likes
Tourist
23 0 3
Thank you for your response. This is actually a different app I wrote that does that very thing with JS, but due to the fact that buttons can be clicked before JS has a chance to do it’s thing, it was unsuccessful for extremely high traffic sites while they were having sales.

Thanks again for the response.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
916 96 149

Have you tried to leverage https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/sell-online/online-store/menus-and-links/url-redirect instead of client side redirects? But that wouldn't work either, as there is no API to manage these. Bummer.

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
0 Likes