Separate App urls for development and production

Highlighted

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is any way to specify different app urls for development stage vs. production stage? I have an app that's already being installed and used by other merchants, but I'm not sure how I can develop/test a new version of the app without affecting the merchants who have the app installed. If I change the app url from the app setup to my local development server, then I know it will change the url of the app in each merchant's admin page, so I'm not sure if there is any way that Shopify provides to avoid such conflicts when a developer wants to develop and test out a new version before deploying to production? If Shopify doesn't offer a solution, can anyone share any tips on this matter?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
21 2 20

I have created another app in my partner account that points to the development server.  I test it all there. Then commit changes and install it on my production server.  I use my .env file to specify the alternate keys, etc. necessary for the other app.

1 Like
Highlighted

Hi @FurnaceX

Thanks for sharing your tip on this! I was actually starting to realize that there wasn't any option provided by Shopify, and I figured I just had to do something like what you said. It's good to confirm I'm not the only one who will be taking this route. Thanks again!

0 Likes