Set a future publish date for a product

Shopify Partner
31 0 5

We sell used electronics and most everything in our store is a single quantity one-off item, I'm looking to create something to allow our employees to hold an item until a specified date. I could set the publish_at date for the product to nil, then schedule a job to re-publish it, but I'd much rather use Shopify's already built in way of publishing products as my scheduler jobs don't persist on server restarts which could potentially lead to some things getting unpublished and not published again. Scheduling a publish date has been available in the UI for years and I saw a thread from a long time ago to use the publish_on field but that was never documented and doesn't seem to work anymore? Is there any reason whatsoever that this feature isn't exposed to the REST Admin API? Is it on the GraphQL API? I've noticed a good amount of features are on the GraphQL API and not the REST API for whatever reason such as the order timeline. The disparity between features available on the UI/GraphQL/REST has been pretty annoying to work with.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
297 32 61

Hey Adam,

Are you looking to accomplish this via a private app?

If so, this would be possible using the GraphQL `publishablePublish` mutation which allows you to pass in a future `publishDate` for a given channel. The mutation requires the `write_publications` access scope, which can be granted for private apps and for some non-Sales Channel public apps.

If you can explain to me exactly how you're looking accomplish this and with what apps, I can provide some more guidance. Thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
31 0 5

Hi Zameer, I'm looking to do this with a private app.  We sell on multiple channels (Shopify and eBay) and I'm looking to make something for our staff to put an item on hold, ideally it will set the publish date for the product in Shopify to the specified time in the future, and schedule the product in eBay in the future, this way the item will be unavailable for purchase for a set amount of time on both channels, and will become available without any further user input. The app is built entirely on the REST API as I wrote it before the GraphQL API existed, I don't really have much experience with GraphQL yet so I've been trying to avoid it but it seems like it has much more functionality so I guess now is as good a time as ever.

0 Likes