Set currency for draft order

NiceTeam
Excursionist
15 0 13

Hi,

Does anybody know if Shopify already allows a creation of a draft order with a currency different than the default shop currency?

It looks like Shopify already has a multi currency checkout, but it still doesn't allow us to create a draft order in currency other than the default shop currency. Or are we missing something here?

Thanks

Replies 51 (51)

hassain
Shopify Staff (Retired)
624 104 187

Hi @NiceTeam ,

As it currently stands right now, there is no functionality through the Shopify Admin UI or the Shopify Admin APIs for a merchant or app partner to create a Draft Order in a currency that is different than the default shop's currency. 

However considering that Draft Orders are supposed to be for orders in which you collect payments outside of the Shopify online store or for orders in which the customers pay for through the invoice_url, is there a use case you had in mind in which you needed the Draft Order to be created in a different currency than the shop's default currency? 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

NiceTeam
Excursionist
15 0 13

Hi Hassain,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, we do have a use case where we would need the Draft Order to be created in a different currency than the shop's default currency.

We created an app called Bundler - Product Bundles which allows merchants to create bundle offers in their shops (https://apps.shopify.com/bundler-product-bundles). It works great and our customers love it 🙂

The app uses Draft Orders feature to apply discounts to the customer's order. And recently, we had a case where a merchant had a shop where customer can have cart in one of the selected currencies. Let's say that the default currency is USD but a customer switches it in the shop to GBP.
All prices and the cart are in GBP, which is great.
But when we try to create a draft order for the merchant, the app applies the discount in GBP and creates a draft order. But as we already know, the draft order can only be created in the default currency. So the final display of the order is in USD and not in GBP, which is a problem to the merchant.

I know that Draft Orders API already has an option to pass a currency, but as for now, the system seems to ignore it.

We are currently looking for a solution for this issue, but it seems that there is not a lot of options for a clean solution. It would be great if the system would allow us to create Draft Order in specified currency 🙂

Henry

Derek_Morin
Shopify Expert
216 1 34

We do have a use case as well, many use cases actually. 

I understand Shopify's initial goal with the DraftOrder API. But, given the fact Shopify is very limited when it comes to Discounting orders (compared to Magento for example), many app developers are now using the DraftOrder API to give an upsell, a gift, a combination of discount + free shipping, etc.  When a merchant has multi-currency enabled in Shopify payments, it's a deal breaker. For example:

I've got it up and running, but then noticed that even though I'm in Australia, and usually check out with AUD as we have Shopify Multi-currency, when my free gift was enabled via your app, it had me check out in USD.  Can that be changed?

We do a lot of international sales and it's important to us to have the customer check out in their home currency.  So if that's not possible with your app, then unfortunately it will be a dealbreaker for us.

Jakob2
Excursionist
10 0 47
We also have the need for this. We are Selling many custom products and services and we create them using Draft Orders for the customer to accept and complete pre-payment.
Problem is that many (if not most) US customers demand their quote and final invoice is in USD. Would appear very normal if Draft would let us choose the currency.
Regards Jakob
Nathan_Wilton
Visitor
1 0 4

Agreed. Many custom items. Need to be able to create draft order in different currency than default. 

MiSunLight
Tourist
7 0 15

Yes, I really need this functionality.

I want to be able to add a draft order in a different currency and send to my customer an invoice in their currency.

i want to be able to select from a dropdown menu in the admin, where i am adding the draft order and see the product price in that selected currency and also be able to adjust the price/discount/shipping in the selected currency.

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

Hi, @hassain  about this "or for orders in which the customers pay for through the invoice_url" I have tried to make a draft order in my shop currency (there is any other option), and send it to my customer.

Even the customer CAN'T change the currency when he/she needs.

So please, let us to choose the currency in draft orders so our customers will get the "innvoice email to pay" in the currency that they want.

It is basic

MiSunLight
Tourist
7 0 15

I completely agree.

If an order is able to converted on the fly on the customer side using currency converters,  then what is the problem doing it on the admin side for a draft order?

There's no difference!!!

I'm paying good money to shopify and so many people are having this same issue. 

It's an international market place and this limits our business operations effectiveness. 

gbHQ
Visitor
1 0 5

I need this functionality as well, so I can create draft invoices for wholesale customers in different currencies.

Jamie_D
Shopify Expert
18 0 9

Just to add to this - I've just come across a very good use case for being able to select currency for draft orders.

As you might be aware, if a customer pays for a normal frontend order in a different currency to the store's default, the order cannot be edited.

My first thought was "fine. we can just cancel the order and create a new draft order for the customer to accept". Well... turns out that's also impossible. So that's the use case!

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

Shopify needs to implement that, otherwise it is a "partial implementation" of currencies. 

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

Shopify, what about hits partial implementation?

Mark_Rosenberg
Tourist
7 0 8

+1 to needing this feature

kelshaer
Excursionist
11 0 3

I am doing consultation jobs so I need to set different prices for each draft order depending on the agreed amount and to set the currency according to the client's location

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

Shopify, what about hits partial implementation?

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

Everybody is still waiting ..... 

RichBee
Visitor
2 0 0

Reading through this thread it seems there are some limitations with Shopify currency converter, namely not being able to edit inside the basket?

I have been using ML Veda's auto currency converter and was considering stopping to now use Shopify's which is free. I will re-assess that now.

I shall also reach out to ML V and see if they can add some code to enable draft order currency change and report back.

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

more waiting, no answer, no date, no .....nothing.

MitchGeorge
Visitor
2 0 0

This is a must for us if we want to bring the bulk of our products into Shopify. A lot of our customers are in an age demographic where they feel uncomfortable navigating through their own payment portal so we need to create the order then help them process the transaction with their credit card over the phone. CAD company, many US or International customers.

kelshaer
Excursionist
11 0 3

Shopify added this functionality. 

Screenshot 2021-03-12 160016.jpg

kelshaer
Excursionist
11 0 3

Few issues with the new feature. Does anyone else experience the same ?

1. When I create a draft order and change its currency to other than the default (USD) it applies taxes even though I have it unchecked.

2. Also the currency conversion rate for CAD & AUD are wrong and don't match the rate on the store itself

MitchGeorge
Visitor
2 0 0

I can't seem to find this box. When I create a draft order and select "Send Invoice", I don't see this selection at the bottom.

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

I can't see this option. Is this a beta program?

kelshaer
Excursionist
11 0 3

no Idea, it just showed up few days ago. I thought it is an update.

sharpweb
Visitor
1 0 0

I don't see it either.  I tried on a Plus and nonPlus store.  Nothing.  Would be great to have!

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

any news @Shopify ?

GinaB19
Tourist
6 0 2

Yes, we definitely need this option.   It is the key to good cusotmer service for foreign purchasers!  Draft order has to be in multi-currency!

I have contacted customer support a few times about this, and they all agree and supposedly pass on the message..... but still waiting.

GinaB19
Tourist
6 0 2

Chat with Shopify confirms that this feature is being rolled out to merchants.  It is very new

It looks like everyone should have this feature pretty soon so it is coming

Jeff_Bertrand
Shopify Staff (Retired)
7 0 7

Hi everyone, Jeff here from the Shopify cross-border team. Just commenting on this thread to let you know that support for multiple currencies in draft orders recently shipped on April 13. So you are now able to send draft orders in your customer's chosen currency.

Apologies for the long wait on this and feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Groon
Shopify Partner
15 0 16

Thank you for creating this feature. But it does not seem to be available yet via API right?

I've tried to create an order with the parameter currency: "EUR" but when created the order has the default currency(USD).

Jeff_Bertrand
Shopify Staff (Retired)
7 0 7

@Groon Correct, setting the currency is not available via API yet. We're working on adding this.

@GinaB19 We're also looking at adding multi currency support to pending orders and pay by credit card soon. Will update here when I have more news 🙂

GinaB19
Tourist
6 0 2

@Jeff_Bertrand thanks for the update.  Do you have an idea of the time frame.  It will help to make some processing decisions. Than you.!

ShopOwner2016
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

We are also in need of multi currency support via the API or Draft Order API. Any idea when this may happen?

ProductFairy
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi Jeff, any update on when the draft order API will support the multi-currency feature? Also just to make sure: when a draft order with currency != store currency is eventually completed, the final order will also inherit the currency details and will be saved properly in the non-store currency, correct? Appreciate your feedback!

Omn3
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Jeff,

any update on when the draft order API will support the multi-currency feature?

GinaB19
Tourist
6 0 2

That is great.  It works.

BUT why not following the same rounding rules as Shopify payments?

GinaB19
Tourist
6 0 2
Why is it setup so that we have to email customer to create multi-currency.   What if we want to created a pending order within Shopify that is in another currency?   It does not seem to be possible.

I think that like us, most customers create draft orders for wholesale customers, who do not necessarily pay immediately.   Please help!
GinaB19
Tourist
6 0 2

Current setup is not satisfactory.

We need to be able to enter prices in the currency of the customer, as prices cannot change  based on the exchange for wholesale customers.

Need to be able to change the currency within the order, and not just when we email the draft order.

Anything in the works to adjust this?

thanks

Groon
Shopify Partner
15 0 16

We definitively need this, draft orders are the way that we (Shopify App Developers) found to create custom orders with custom discounts. Unfortunately today I gonna lose a client because DraftOrder API does not accept the currency parameter in the creation.

HugoJolliffe
Visitor
2 0 22

We also desperately need this functionality. It seems so strange that we can accept foreign currencies online but not via a draft order.

Will this be sorted soon?

Sandoz25
Visitor
1 0 2

Shopify sure makes it difficult to create a shop that sells in more than one country.  So many apps are not compatible with multi-currency stores and it's not due to their programming but due to limitations with Shopify.  It's very disappointing and its causing me to migrate my store to another platform.

Really how hard could it be to allow online retailers to sell in more than one country and a smooth way.  A customer doesn't want you to explain to them why they can't pay in their own currency.  This shouldn't even be a thing.  My store should display in the currency of whatever country they are shopping in.  It shouldn't be an add on app to make that happen.  It shouldn't need to be enabled in the payment section of admin and limit you from using other payment processors. 

This seems like the basic necessities to run an online marketplace in a global environment and Shopify is failing miserably.  Hard to believe they are such a successful company.  I find it even harder to believe knowing that they are a Canadian company.  A country that depends on sales to foreign markets. 

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

Any body from Shopify will explain us anything? where is support ?

MartinNovotny1
Tourist
11 0 4

We would also need this. 

chegar
Tourist
10 0 12

I need this as well and have discovered a bit of a workaround. If you're selling internationally/multi-currency, I would assume you use a VPN to check functionality. If so, connect the VPN to the country/currency of your customer. Then visit your storefront and add items to your cart as a customer would. Enter your customer's email and info and continue through to the payment page. Then simply exit the payment page, abandon the cart. Go to your abandoned carts and your order will be there. Then send abandoned cart notification to the customer. The cart link they receive will be to check out in their currency. Edit the abandoned cart notification to read a little more generic so it works both as a true abandoned cart notification as well as simply a saved cart ready for completion. 

Hope this helps some of you. Both Bigcommerce and Woocommerce offer the ability to select currency when creating an order, so Shopify is lagging on this functionality...and other multi-currency settings. 

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

Hi, any update from shopify or from anyone?

MiSunLight
Tourist
7 0 15

I haven't confirmed or tested it, but i think there is a free/paid shopify app that can do this.

Try Stocky app, it may be able to address the multi currency issue.

Let me know if it works as i am interested also.

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

we dont want more apps. If an app can do it, then it must be and option through shopify api.

MiSunLight
Tourist
7 0 15

Juan,

Easy there tiger, i don't work for Shopify, it is just a suggestion.  I asked Shopify last year for this functionality and it has not been implemented but it think Stocky can do it.

If it is a pain point then try Stocky, or else, don't.

It seems such an easy fix for Shopify but they have there reasons why it has not been implemented i guess?