Shipping Confirmation Notifications Not Sending on API-generated Orders

ohmconnect
1 0 1

I am experiencing an issue where shipping confirmation emails are not being sent to our customers when orders that were placed via the Admin API are fulfilled. On orders placed directly via our storefront however, these notifications do send out properly to customers even though it uses the same fulfillment mechanism as the API orders do.

We are using the Python shopifyapi pip package, version 8.0.1 and are passing the following relevant parameters when generating a new order:

{
    "financial_status": "paid",
    "send_receipt": True,
    "send_fulfillment_receipt": True,
    "processing_method": "offsite"
}

According to the documentation, it seems like send_fulfillment_receipt should enable the sending of shipping confirmation emails, but that doesn't appear to be working.

shipping_confirmation_not_sent.png

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a bug in this version of shopifyapi?

Thanks,

Steven

_JCC_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
158 21 27

Steve,

Happy to help out with this issue. 

I wanted to ask how orders are being fulfilled. Are they being fulfilled manually or are they being fulfilled via the REST API.

When setting send_fulfillment_receipt=true in a request to the orders API, the fulfillment email is only sent when the status on the order in the same request is fulfilled

If using the fulfillment REST API endpoint to fulfill, you can specify notify_customer=true to send the fulfillment email.

Orders created via the API and fulfilled manually in the admin will not automatically check Send shipment details to your customer now, where as orders created via the storefront will by default check this box.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

John C | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes
ohm_engineers
2 0 0

Hi John,

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Both our storefront and API-generated orders are fulfilled the same way, after the order is placed, using the "SparkShipping" plugin which marks the order as fulfilled when our external fulfillment vendor indicates it has fulfilled the order (which I assume uses some form of API interaction on the backend). 

From your comment here it seems that even though the storefront orders are not fulfilled at the moment of order, they do still send out the shipping notification once the order is marked as fulfilled due to a "Send shipment details to your customer now" setting that is enabled for the storefront but not for API orders?:

Orders created via the API and fulfilled manually in the admin will not automatically check Send shipment details to your customer now, where as orders created via the storefront will by default check this box.

Is there any way to enable this setting when creating orders using the API, when those orders are fulfilled a bit later by an automated process?

Thanks,

Steven
Senior Software Engineer | OhmConnect

0 Likes
_JCC_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
158 21 27

Steven,

Thanks for getting back to me with some more details. I don't think

While I look into this further, I was curious if the fulfillment with Spark Shipping has ever sent shipping notification too orders created via the API? When fulfilling via the API (which Spark Shipping is doing) they have the option in that request to specify notify_customer=true, which when set will trigger Shopify to send the shipping notification to the customer. Currently Spark Shipping is not using this parameter in their fulfillment requests. I'll continue to investigate on my end why the storefront created orders would be treated differently.

Regards,

John

- To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes
_JCC_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
158 21 27

Steven,

I did some more digging on this and can report the behaviour being seen is expected. Orders created via the API will always default to not sending shipping notifications. 

When using the fulfillment endpoint to fulfill orders notify_customer=true should be used to ensure customer notifications are being sent if that's the desired outcome.

I took a look at the Spark Shipping app configuration and I didn't see anything suggesting this can be turned by the merchant. I would suggest reaching out to them to clarify if there is such a setting or if they could add one.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

0 Likes
ohm_engineers
2 0 0

Hi John,

Thanks for digging into this. I am currently reaching out to SparkShipping to see what options are available.

Regards,

Steven

0 Likes
Sanchez111
1 0 0

Hello, 

We were wondering if you had the capability to send a confirmation email to customers via API. Whether they are created from APIs or Client side. We are currently using the node version of your API and would like to know how we would go about resending order confirmation emails if requested. 

0 Likes