Shopify API is returning 430 status code

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 0

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is a repeated post, but I can't seems to find any concrete information about this.

I'm having an issue where the API calls are returning 430 status code.

I've taken a look at https://help.shopify.com/en/api/getting-started/response-status-codes

and did not see status code 430 at all. 

When I google about Shopify 430 status code, everything seems to be related to crawling issues.

My server indeed conducts crawling activities, however, this particular merchant store is not being crawled at all yet I'm receiving 430 just by simply making 1 API call.

So my question is this when I received a 430 status, does it mean it's not merchant-specific account block but a full block in all Shopify accounts? If yes, how long is the block usually and how can I lift the block? I tried to stop all activity for this merchant account but nothing seems to work.

Some of my customers are having issues with their store due to this issue and I can't seems to help them. Feeling helpless. Would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on this.

Thanks!

Linkcious automatically generates related products, up-sells, and cross-sells your entire catalog across your sites much like Amazon's related products. The best part is Linkcious can be used on external sites as well. Use Linkcious on your blog and you will see "Amazon like" related products from your ecommerce store on your blog.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1210 4 71

I basically means you are hitting the API too much (I've also seen 420 responses). I treat it the same as a 429 response.

I've gave feedback to Shopify a couple of years ago that it isn't documented. It's a shame it still isn't.

HTH, Gavin.

www.bookthatapp.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 0

Hello Gavin! 

Thanks for replying to me! Yeah, It's such a pity. Could you provide me with some tips on how can I overcome this? 

For example, if I need to hit the API slowly, how slow are we exactly talking about?

Like how would I know I'm hitting too fast without triggering a 430?

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!!

Linkcious automatically generates related products, up-sells, and cross-sells your entire catalog across your sites much like Amazon's related products. The best part is Linkcious can be used on external sites as well. Use Linkcious on your blog and you will see "Amazon like" related products from your ecommerce store on your blog.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1210 4 71

There are some good ideas here: https://www.shopify.com.au/partners/blog/84051654-7-tips-to-maximize-your-use-of-the-shopify-api

I'm using Ruby so I do something similar to this: https://gist.github.com/jeffrafter/1affce2838bf610f2826 and instead of just checking for a 429 I also check 420 and 430.

HTH, Gavin.

www.bookthatapp.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 0

Thanks Gavin! I'll read up on the articles and see how can I prevent such issues in the future!

Cheers!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
84 1 19

Hi @Jason_T ,

We're also running into this issue.

This seems to happen only on our development servers, not when running locally.

It's intermittent. Sometimes we get 430 responses, sometimes they go through.

It doesn't seem to be load related either. It often happens on the very first request.

My assumption is that the IP addresses where the traffic comes from are somehow blacklisted.

Did you end up solving your issue with a retry mechanism or did you go for a different approach?

Regards,

Bart 

Bart Coppens | Limoni Apps | Building apps for Shopify since 2016
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 0 0

Hello, 

It's been a while, I don't think I've fully solved this issue Shopify tech support just told me to slow down my activity in all Shopify Site. 

I've since revamped my entire method of API calls which technically should prevent all my API from reaching quota limit thus slowing down activity to Shopify. Since then I don't seems to encounter this issue anymore.

If it helps in any way, here's what I did in a nutshell.

I allow mass calling until it hit a certain limit, then I restrict to a queue where only one call can be made at a time until the API call bucket is filled back to a certain limit, I then enable mass calling again.

I tested this with 5 workers each making 1000 calls and I didn't encounter any issue.

Not sure if that's helpful for you. But works for me till now!

0 Likes