Shopify App Bridge Receipt Printer Action

Shopify Partner
3 0 0

I am developing an app for a client that requires sending data to a receipt printer. It is an embedded app using app bridge.

Originally this printer would connect to wifi and I would send the data across the network. However at the last minute they cannot connect it to their wifi and need to use bluetooth to connect the printer. They would be using through shopify mobile app and shopify pos.

Will there be a app bridge action for this coming soon? What other way could I do this before then?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
11 1 1

Hi There, 

In general, the Shopify App Bridge enables you to embed an app into a merchant's Shopify admin dashboard or into the Shopify POS. The Actions that the App Bridge provides correspond with the concept of actions in the Redux framework - effectively a message that is dispatched to trigger events in your application. Accordingly, actions provided by the App Bridge can be used to trigger UI changes and data exchange between your app and the Shopify POS. 

You should be able to use the existing actions provided in the App Bridge in conjunction with any custom functionality that you wish to achieve. Please refer to the examples in the documentation here: https://help.shopify.com/en/api/embedded-apps/app-bridge/actions

If you have any specific questions regarding the App Bridge, or would be willing to provide more details regarding the application you aim to build, we may be able to provide you with some more detailed guidance. 

Cheers

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Thanks for the reply!

Bluetooth provides a connection between the printer and the iOS device only. A web app using app bridge will not have direct access to the iOS device and so requires an action within app bridge to dispatch the message for the POS app (or mobile app) to then send to the printer. There are no current actions that can do this as far as I can see.

You imply that I could do this already with existing actions but really not sure how without Shopify providing a dedicated action. If I'm wrong please let me know how i can do it

Regards,

Jordan

0 Likes