Shopify App Gets Caught in Infinite 'Enable Cookies' loop in Safari

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
35 1 21

@hannachen should we expect a patch from Shopify around this in koa-auth? This issue is clearly reproducible in Safari 13.1 because it blocks third party cookies by default. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

This is quite an urgent issue as a lot of visitors are using the latest version of Safari. We can replicate the Redirect Loop issue caused by Koa-Auth-Shopify in multiple stores and for multiple Apps. The code of the issue seems to be the Third-Party-Cookies being blocked by default in Safari 13.1.

Shopify, we're getting multiple reports per day (and growing) of this issue and this is highly impactful. Could you please advise on a temporary fix until the module gets updated?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
35 2 10

We're working on a fix! I'll post when we have an updated version of the library out for you to try. Thanks for reporting this!

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
35 2 10

This is an accepted solution.

We released v3.1.61 of koa-shopify-auth this afternoon that should fix issues with Safari 13.1: https://www.npmjs.com/package/@shopify/koa-shopify-auth/v/3.1.61

Please give it a try and let us know if it works for you!

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
35 1 21

I just tested "v3.1.61" of "koa-shopify-auth" on Safari 13.1 it did fix cookie redirect issue! Thanks a ton for releasing patch quickly. Much appreciated :) 

I'm seeing following prompt every time I'm trying to open my app on Safari 13.1 though, is that a new normal?

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 4.38.34 PM.png

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
19 0 3
Thank you Michael for the update.
We’ll test it soon.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
35 2 10

Glad it's working for you!

Yes, that's the new normal (for the moment). But we're working on something better :) https://twitter.com/jmwind/status/1256249454430224386

Highlighted

Niiice!

I thought it was strange that cookies (and redirects) were needed at all. It seemed like just adding a definable parameter at the install URL would be enough to get rid of them.

I think I also read about iframe-less apps - I can't wait to read about the details of that magic :)

Want to increase conversions or get more social media attention? Try Brisa Video Creator to quickly and easily create videos that engage your viewers!
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

We've upgraded to v3.1.61 and now in the initial authentication process we get the following error:

Request origin could not be verified

It happens in all browsers.

Only in the second attempt to authenticate, it works well.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
35 2 10

Hi artva,

Were you able to reproduce this error with the example app in the repo? That's a good way to know whether it's an issue with the library or with the configuration. https://github.com/Shopify/quilt/tree/master/packages/koa-shopify-auth#example-app

I'd also recommend you create a new thread for this issue so that it gets more visibility.

-Mike

0 Likes