Shopify App Gets Caught in Infinite 'Enable Cookies' loop in Safari

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
107 2 15

Regarding https://twitter.com/jmwind/status/1256249454430224386, can we get a rough idea of how this will work and when it would be released?

Will it be only for App Bridge or also available for the EASDK?

Given the recurring cookies issues with customers, we are considering rewriting our authentication mechanism to be cookie less, but it would be a shame if we did the work and shortly after the new solution was released...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
35 2 10

Hi! We'll be sharing more details soon! You can expect it to be available for all partners this summer.

It will only be available for App Bridge, so now's a good time to upgrade to App Bridge if you're still on EASDK.

Thanks!

-Mike

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
107 2 15

Thanks @Michael_Ragalie 

Regarding summer, is that the timeframe for production or beta?

I understand that you might not be able to share more yet, but I was hoping you could just share the type of embedding technique that you will be using, as it can have an impact on the authentication design we might choose.

For example, is it based on a link tag like <link rel="import" href="<url>">, or some other mechanism?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
107 2 15

Also, will apps be loaded in a 'first-party' context, as opposed to iFrame which create a 'third-party' context.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
35 2 10

Hi! That's the timeline for production.

The gist is that Shopify issues a JWT to the app frontend via App Bridge, you include that JWT in the Authentication header of your requests to your app backend, and then your app backend can verify the JWT signature and know which shop/user the request is on behalf of.

We'll share more details soon! Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
35 2 10
Apps will still be loaded in a third-party context.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
107 2 15

Thanks I'm looking forward to experimenting with the beta.

Safari users in particular are running into a lot of third party cookie issues.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
107 2 15

Still within an iFrame right?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hello,

Our customers still run into this issue, even after the upgrade to the version 3.1.65 of shopify/koa-shopify-auth

What can we do as a temporary solution?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
35 2 10

Hi Victor, it can be hard to diagnose issues with the cookie-based auth flow. If you're running into problems, I'd recommend you try out the new cookieless option and see if it resolves some of the issues: https://shopify.dev/tools/app-bridge/authentication

0 Likes