Shopify App development Trial period

eDreamz_Technol
Shopify Expert
4 0 0

Hello Support

We have developed an public app for our client. We have 14 days trial and after that ends 8$ per month.

But problem is as a customer i want to test the app before i purchase. I am not able to test the app in trial period as its asking me to upgrade and purchase the app. Please check attached screenshot while installing app first time.

Screenshot_12.jpg

So how can i allow customer to test the app in trial period and then ask for purchase the app?

What care should i take while development of this app.

Thanks

0 Likes
achieveapplabs
Shopify Partner
470 36 74

Hello @eDreamz_Technol ,

Are you trying to install in a demo shop? If you were to install on a Shopify store that's on a paid plan would you get the same message? Another way is to make the app listing free to install and handle the recurring charge within the app.

Regards,

Sam - Owner @ Achieve

Install Approovly to create and track order approvals | We want to hear from you hello@achieveapplabs.com | Follow us on Twitter @achieveapplabs | Custom Shopify Apps achieveapplabs.com
0 Likes
BStubbs
Shopify Partner
124 14 46

This is to do with the way dev stores interact with the app billing of Shopify. It won't let you install a paid app unless you have a valid credit card saved for the shop.

The way to get around this for TESTING purposes (which I am pretty sure thats what you are doing?) you need to set the appSubscription to 'test = true'. 

https://shopify.dev/docs/admin-api/graphql/reference/billing/appsubscriptioncreate#arguments-2021-01

If you are using the REST API, then its the same thing, just its on the RecurringApplicationCharge.

You can probably make a if else statement in your code to check if the store is your dev store, and in which case set the test flag to true.

(One thing to note, in the 'test mode' the nextBillingOn date will never change.)

Was this helpful? Press like!
Did it fix the problem? Mark it as the solution for others!
Buy me a beer? Well, sure!
0 Likes
eDreamz_Technol
Shopify Expert
4 0 0

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.  For paid plan its working.  But as a developer when i am working on Development store then i usually try installing other third party apps and it gets installed for their respective trial period but my app is not getting installed on development store.

So i want to know how to get this done like many of the other apps do.

Thanks

0 Likes
eDreamz_Technol
Shopify Expert
4 0 0

Hello

Thanks for your reply and yes problem is with Dev store.  Many other third party apps allow to install paid apps for trial period on Dev store. So i am wondering how they do this?

As you suggested if else for Test=True, that way i can try but even if it works, after trial period it should ask to pay even if its in Dev store.

Do you think this will work?

Thanks

0 Likes
BStubbs
Shopify Partner
124 14 46

It sounds like you haven't set it up to have a trial period

Was this helpful? Press like!
Did it fix the problem? Mark it as the solution for others!
Buy me a beer? Well, sure!
0 Likes
eDreamz_Technol
Shopify Expert
4 0 0

No i have trial period set for 14 days and it works for paid shopify plan but i want trial period to work even if its Dev store so developer can analyze the app and decide whether to purchase or not.  Without testing no developer will purchase the app?

0 Likes
achieveapplabs
Shopify Partner
470 36 74

Hi @eDreamz_Technol ,

I'm looking at the suggestion to check if a Dev store is installing your app then setting test = true. Then when the trial period is over setting test = null. This is likely the way most app developers are allowing devs to test out their apps. Do let us know what you come up with. 

Regards,

Sam - Owner @ Achieve Applabs

Install Approovly to create and track order approvals | We want to hear from you hello@achieveapplabs.com | Follow us on Twitter @achieveapplabs | Custom Shopify Apps achieveapplabs.com
0 Likes