Shopify App name change required for AppStore submission

Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hello,

I've got my private App for some time already, it's installed on couple of stores. I'd like to create App Store listing for my app, so I tried to submit it for a review. It got rejected, I fixed most of the problems in my app, but there is one point which I'm a bit concerned about:

"The name of the app is different in your partner account than what is in the Shopify App Store listing. These fields must be identical. The app name can be changed within the app setup section in your partner dashboard."

Name change shouldn't be a problem, but what about stores which have my App installed already? Is it safe to change the App name or can it cause some problem with stores mentioned above?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
534 21 56

Hi there!

Don here from Shopify. :)

I've checked in with our Apps team who confirmed that any private installations of your app would not be negatively affected by your requisite name change.

The naming policy itself is in place to avoid any such confusion for merchants who will be downloading your app to their store should it be approved.

You can also reach out to us anytime you need us via our support site.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

This may be a dumb question (or is there no such thing?), but in the case of private apps created in-house and used only in-house for accessing APIs (e.g., Storefront, webhooks), is there any potential negative effect of changing an app's name? I've just tried this in a test/staging store, and it doesn't seem to impact anything (all keys, tokens, secrets, and permissions stay the same, and these are the only things that matter, AFAIK).

I figure if no one is downloading my app, the name is purely cosmetic, but before I go changing things on a production store, I want to be sure.

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
534 21 56

Hi there @Josh68!

Don here from Shopify. :)

I've checked in with our Partners team on this and they were of the opinion that there should be no negative consequences from the renaming of your private app.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Tourist
9 0 0

Thanks so much for confirming that for me, Don. I will pass this on to our client. So far, I have seen no effect of making such a change on our testing store.

Best regards,

Josh

0 Likes