Shopify backend, React frontend

Solved
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

Shopify's theming stuff is really... dated.

All the React tutorials I'm seeing are "How to build a Shopify App with React", nothing about a client-facing frontend.

Am I overlooking something? I'm new to Shopify, but I'd imagine if you provided APIs then it should be pretty easy to create a standalone frontend hosted somewhere like Netlify (or my own Express server) right?

Sorry if I'm just overlooking it.

1 Like
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Partner
1838 174 615

Totally. If you want a full end-to-end example of a static site gen using React and CDN style hosting, check GatsbyJS store implementation which runs off of Shopify to get an idea. Other than that, it's really just do your React stuff whichever way you want and prefer and fetch your Storefront API resources any way you want and prefer - I mean, there is nothing Shopify specific about it that warrants a need to show how it's done - one thing is React, the other is GraphQL respectively and the third is your specific requirements and design spec.

The only hiccup you'll experience is with unknown page count when paging products, some fields not available in Storefront API that are available in Liquid objects of the same resources and the checkout redirect - you won't be taking checkout on a React journey, that's for sure.

Hope this helps!

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

Thank you so much. I was missing the "Storefront API" search term. :D

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi,

I wanted to ask this as a new question but cannot figure out how I'm supposed to do that.

I want to build a gatsby site using the Storefront API. But I really would rather host my static site on Shopifys servers (they use a VPN too). Does Shopify allow or enable this in any way?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Can we able to use or add shopify apps after implementing gatsby as our frontend using storefront apis ?. I just want to increase my website's speed & also wants to take advantage of this coolest frontend framework(Gatsby). But on the other hand, I do not want to loose anything related to marketing stuff that does require shopify apps. Can you please help me out or guide me

@KarlOffenberger wrote:

Totally. If you want a full end-to-end example of a static site gen using React and CDN style hosting, check GatsbyJS store implementation which runs off of Shopify to get an idea. Other than that, it's really just do your React stuff whichever way you want and prefer and fetch your Storefront API resources any way you want and prefer - I mean, there is nothing Shopify specific about it that warrants a need to show how it's done - one thing is React, the other is GraphQL respectively and the third is your specific requirements and design spec.

The only hiccup you'll experience is with unknown page count when paging products, some fields not available in Storefront API that are available in Liquid objects of the same resources and the checkout redirect - you won't be taking checkout on a React journey, that's for sure.

Hope this helps!

with this ?

0 Likes