Sites Built Entirely Over API?

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey all. I'm new here, and have a rather high level question about building an API-driven website. 

tl;dr - I'm considering building a website (for a handful of reasons) entirely over the API. Using NodeJS/Express, I plan to grab items, tags, categories over the API, and deliver the cart & web experience completely over my own web server. I will likely be caching the products in my own redis cache as well to keep bulky API calls to a minimum. 

I'm curious if
1. Is this something anyone here has done before, and have there been any big issues with doing something like this?
2. Is the storefront API is to facilitate something like this?
3. Does anyone foresee any "gotchas" that may come from developing the site like this.

I understand that typically, it's best to use the liquid templates, and shopify's core website feature - but for this project, for a handful of reasons, we need to take an API driven path. 

I appreciate any feedback!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Expert
3974 17 333

Storefront API is made for you. Shopify would love it if you exploited that to the max for your own purposes. You are embracing some hot technology. You'd be crazy not to go this path, as it is for sure a chunk of the future. No other platform has the important details nailed leaving you with the more creative side of things. Not to say the API is perfect, far from it, but if you get in the car and start driving it, I think they'd love to help you smooth over any bumps or weird noises you see and hear.

I cannot imagine you having a bad time doing this. Share your experiences!

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks! That is very encouraging. I'll definitely draft up a case study or a blog post and share it here once we're live. Aiming to get some of the base foundations of this into a github repository as well to help anyone else out in the future. 

0 Likes