We are in the process of completing development of a Shopify app for Imagify, and we would appreciate getting some clarification on some of the requirements listed in the Shopify documentation at https://help.shopify.com/en/api/app-store/getting-your-app-approved/app-requirements
1) As you can see from our pricing structure at https://imagify.io/pricing/ we offer customers 25MB per month free, and provide multiple payment options if they wish to use the product more each month. We do not require any credit card for sign-up and to use the free 25MB each month. Under this model does the app qualify to be listed as a free app with Shopify?
2) Customers can currently downgrade to the free plan or unsubscribe from having an Imagify account by emailing our support. Is this acceptable or are we required to offer them a fully automated unsubscribe option?
3) The documentation says: Enterprise-level pricing plans must be referenced in the Description of additional charges section of the pricing section of the app's listing.
Does this mean we are required to offer Enterprise-level pricing plans? Or does it mean that if we choose to offer Enterprise-level pricing we must list it in that particular section of the app listing?
5) The documentation states "Your app must never request that a merchant generate and provide a private API key. The Shopify App Store lists only public applications." As part of the signup process we generate an API key for customers and email it to them. This key allows them to use their Imagify account across all Imagify software which includes the web app, a Wordpress Plugin, and hopefully soon a Shopify app. We assume this is not against Shopify terms and conditions but just want to make sure.
Thanks for any information you can provide. We look forward to providing a great image optimization plugin for Shopify users!
I'm far from an expert, but I've read a decent amount of documentation and stuff. Take these with a grain of salt. I'd also recommend just creating a dev account and app - you can play with the listing options and see how it works.
1. Yes, I think any app that has a free option will be listed as free. But during the submission process, you need to list plans and pricing options, so it will likely show a free option as well as all plan prices.
2. You may need to automate this. I think they say users must be able to upgrade/downgrade plans through the UI. You may be able to provide a UI to downgrade that someone handles manually. You could also try to submit without it and hope they understand the complexity of quotas/free plans/etc and make an exception. Might be worth reaching out to Shopify support if you don't want to put dev time into an app that might not be approved.
3. Nope, enterprise pricing is not required.
4. Not sure about this. I think if the app functions without the API key and it only enables additional features, you'll be fine. Another good question for Shopify support.
Good luck! The process feels daunting, and every app has its own unique challenges. Having just gone through the submission process, they do seem friendly and helpful, although you should expect a day between responses, no matter how quickly you respond :)
No problem! I definitely feel the confusion and amount of work it takes to get it done :)