Storefront API CompleteCheckout without credit card (e.g. MoneyOrder)

BudaDigital
Tourist
8 0 2

Hi.
I'm using the Storefront API to make a unique checkout experience to my customers. But there's some point we need to improve regarding the CompleteCheckout mutation.

I'd understand it's mandatory pass a idempotency to complete the checkout via Storefront API and that Shopify provides a card vaulting system to generate this ID, but all the ways to generate this ID [Shopify Card Vault, Stripe and Spreedly] requires credit_card infos to generate it.

But in case of other payment method besides credit_card (e.g: money order)? 
How can i complete this checkout via StorefrontAPI?

How can I complete a money_order checkout via Storefront API?

Replies 6 (6)

vix
Shopify Staff
540 103 122

Hi @BudaDigital 

I'd suggest setting up a free checkout if you are collecting this money outside of Shopify: https://shopify.dev/docs/storefront-api/reference/mutation/checkoutcompletefree

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

BudaDigital
Tourist
8 0 2

@vix this doesn't work for me entirely because besides money order, here in brazil the most used payment method is Boleto Bancário, where I emit an 'invoice' to my customers and wait to this invoice to be paid to continue the process.

In this case I need to put a pending order via Storefront API and update it later to paid via webhook.
There's some way to put this order as pending?

BudaDigital
Tourist
8 0 2

Any updates about this?
@vix ?

vix
Shopify Staff
540 103 122
Interesting - so ideally being able to create the checkout in a pending status. That sounds more like creating a Draft Order, which would require the Admin API.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

awais93
Visitor
1 0 0

I have tried this checkoutCompleteFree method but getting this error:

MISSING_PAYMENT_INPUT
Checkout requires payment

tobiasjayas
Visitor
2 0 0

is there any updates about this?