Solved

Storefront customerAddressUpdate modifies address id

bkegley
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I'm trying to allow a customer to update their address through the Storefront API. The mutation works as expected but the returned id is different than the provided id. I'm able to continue referencing the address by its original id and make future mutations however the returned id changes every time. Running the exact same mutation multiple times returns different ids each time which makes me think it's possibly a hash of the data (with the updated_at field changing). This presents some difficulties in caching as there isn't a good way to update the cache by referencing the address id from the returned result.

Any insight into why ids are changing would be much appreciated.

This is the mutation:

mutation customerAddressUpdate(
    $customerAccessToken: String!
    $id: ID!
    $address: MailingAddressInput!
  ) {
    updateCustomerAddress: customerAddressUpdate(
      customerAccessToken: $customerAccessToken
      id: $id
      address: $address
    ) {
      customerAddress {
        id
      }
    }
  } 

Accepted Solution (1)

Alex
Shopify Staff
1561 81 341

This is an accepted solution.

So I did some digging on this one. While the ID is changing from request to request, it's not a new object being created each time. Take this ID:

Z2lkOi8vc2hvcGlmeS9NYWlsaW5nQWRkcmVzcy82ODA1NTE0NDUzP21vZGVsX25hbWU9Q3VzdG9tZXJBZGRyZXNzJmN1c3RvbWVyX2FjY2Vzc190b2tlbj14TDNJVmlzenBCdHNtZlNfcWxPUHIzZE14NHh5QUNZVTVwNUxuRUhibEFZQ29zbFVPcGdacWhQOEJDSnYyVnZtLXpYeDNneHR4WjVDRnd4bWhOZHRwbmlqenFUVkgzOWFwM0U5ZmV5aHhPeElxLVRPVFdFUDIyRWR4Q3NZb2FwaHE4NGtHY28tRVJiMHc3VWxCMjRPaFl2YXEwM05xYkgtdlJBYWREdnp0Y25peVlCZkxJOGZkOTB0ZkhXQXZ3X0tNRW13YzVjYTNOdlYwa0lJSzJOSlZwVFc3T2JnSnNWNTN5cTY3SnZlal9rdTg1Q1lack1reW9Pel91akpxSXRn

When I decode the Base64 string representation, it comes out like this:

gid://shopify/MailingAddress/6805514453?model_name=CustomerAddress&customer_access_token=xL3IViszpBtsmfS_qlOPr3dMx4xyACYU5p5LnEHblAYCoslUOpgZqhP8BCJv2Vvm-zXx3gxtxZ5CFwxmhNdtpnijzqTVH39ap3E9feyhxOxIq-TOTWEP22EdxCsYoaphq84kGco-ERb0w7UlB24OhYvaq03NqbH-vRAadDvztcniyYBfLI8fd90tfHWAvw_KMEmwc5ca3NvV0kIIK2NJVpTW7ObgJsV53yq67Jvej_ku85CYZrMkyoOz_ujJqItg

You'll see that the mailing address ID itself remains the same, and so does the model_name "query parameter". It's the customer_access_token parameter that appears to change from time to time, and it never seems to match the customer access token I used to make the mutation. I don't know exactly what that is, but it's possibly some kind of encoded representation of the access token, and that's the reason why the ID is changing from request to request.

Does that help a bit?

Cheers.

Alex | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Alex
Shopify Staff
1561 81 341

This is an accepted solution.

So I did some digging on this one. While the ID is changing from request to request, it's not a new object being created each time. Take this ID:

Z2lkOi8vc2hvcGlmeS9NYWlsaW5nQWRkcmVzcy82ODA1NTE0NDUzP21vZGVsX25hbWU9Q3VzdG9tZXJBZGRyZXNzJmN1c3RvbWVyX2FjY2Vzc190b2tlbj14TDNJVmlzenBCdHNtZlNfcWxPUHIzZE14NHh5QUNZVTVwNUxuRUhibEFZQ29zbFVPcGdacWhQOEJDSnYyVnZtLXpYeDNneHR4WjVDRnd4bWhOZHRwbmlqenFUVkgzOWFwM0U5ZmV5aHhPeElxLVRPVFdFUDIyRWR4Q3NZb2FwaHE4NGtHY28tRVJiMHc3VWxCMjRPaFl2YXEwM05xYkgtdlJBYWREdnp0Y25peVlCZkxJOGZkOTB0ZkhXQXZ3X0tNRW13YzVjYTNOdlYwa0lJSzJOSlZwVFc3T2JnSnNWNTN5cTY3SnZlal9rdTg1Q1lack1reW9Pel91akpxSXRn

When I decode the Base64 string representation, it comes out like this:

gid://shopify/MailingAddress/6805514453?model_name=CustomerAddress&customer_access_token=xL3IViszpBtsmfS_qlOPr3dMx4xyACYU5p5LnEHblAYCoslUOpgZqhP8BCJv2Vvm-zXx3gxtxZ5CFwxmhNdtpnijzqTVH39ap3E9feyhxOxIq-TOTWEP22EdxCsYoaphq84kGco-ERb0w7UlB24OhYvaq03NqbH-vRAadDvztcniyYBfLI8fd90tfHWAvw_KMEmwc5ca3NvV0kIIK2NJVpTW7ObgJsV53yq67Jvej_ku85CYZrMkyoOz_ujJqItg

You'll see that the mailing address ID itself remains the same, and so does the model_name "query parameter". It's the customer_access_token parameter that appears to change from time to time, and it never seems to match the customer access token I used to make the mutation. I don't know exactly what that is, but it's possibly some kind of encoded representation of the access token, and that's the reason why the ID is changing from request to request.

Does that help a bit?

Cheers.

Alex | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

bkegley
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Thanks Alex! That does help a lot. I got around the issue I was having with some middleware but decoding the response and pulling out the id would've worked as well.

tomasperalta
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi! I’m struggling with the same issue here.

I’m trying to update a customer’s address with the Storefront API, but the GraphQL mutation returns a “Invalid global ID” error when using the “gid://“ ID. Can you please help me?

Thanks! 

themusaib1
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

use the id as global id:

gid://shopify/MailingAddress/${address.id}?model_name=CustomerAddress
Musaib Mushtaq
musaibdar64@gmail.com

culverizer
Visitor
2 0 0

I also ran into the same issue. In my case I'm using Apollo to manage the cache and I noticed that when an address was modified, a new address object would be added to the cache with a different id and the list of customer addresses would not be updated. 

To solve I created a local field `adminId` on the `MailingAddress` object, which parses out the mailing address id from the base 64 encoded global id. I then set `adminId` to be the cache key. 

export const cache = new InMemoryCache({
  typePolicies: {
    MailingAddress: {
      fields: {
        adminId: {
          read(_, { readField }) {
            const gid = atob(readField('id'));
            const adminId = gid.substring(
              gid.lastIndexOf('/') + 1,
              gid.indexOf('?')
            );
            return adminId;