Submit orders to Shopify POS from 3rd party application

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hello,

I would like to send orders to Shopify POS from a 3rd party application. We want to develop the solution to take the order from a 3rd party application and submit to Shopify POS so that the agents can see the order there. I didn't find a solution though in the documentation for shopify POS. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
173 13 28

Are these meant to be unpaid orders? The best way to do this might be to actually create the order as a draft order and then use one of the other 3rd party apps to import the draft order into your cart (or roll your own). 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hello, thank you for your message. Are you talking about creating an order in Shopify? Apologies but it is not clear to us what is the difference with Shopify POS and Shopify API. We would like to write our own code for submitting the order to Shopify

Most of these orders will be paid in the external app but we need to send to shopify POS in order to fulfill them and share to the customer. We don't use shopify as online store, only as POS.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
173 13 28

Can you please expand on the use case? It sounds like you want to create a paid order via the Shopify API via your own third party app and then have a way to pull these up in the store setting. 

From what I read, it is not possible using the native features to mark an unfulfilled Shopify order as fulfilled within Shopify POS: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/sell-in-person/shopify-pos/order-management/unfulfilled-orders. However, apparently there is a way to do it through the Shopify Admin app - could you grant your staff certain permissions for Shopify Admin and then they would see and mark the orders using that instead? 

If the above for some reason doesn't work, the only other thing I could think of would be to build a custom embedded Shopify POS app that enables you to view the orders created via your 3rd party app and set a flag for fulfilled / not yet fulfilled. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hello, 

The use case is as following. A customer orders coffee from a mobile app of the store 3rd party. The order is paid. The store receives the order and needs to prepare it. We want to send the order to Shopify primarily to 

1. Inform the employee that an order is placed so that they can prepare it

2. Do all the accounting / book keeping like the remaining processes

Hope it makes sense. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
173 13 28

Gotcha, this makes sense. Are you using a Shopify SDK in your mobile app so that the order is a Shopify order? Or is the paid order not a Shopify order? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0
We are not using Shopify SDK. The 3rd party application stores the order
internally and can additionally call a Shopify POS API (via an event
mechanism). So we are trying to understand what API from Shopify to call so
that we can send orders to Shopify. If you could share for example a link
to an order submission API to send the order to Shopify POS, this would be
greatly appreciated
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
173 13 28

Gotcha. Perhaps someone else here is better suited to answer this, but I don't think there is an easy way to do what you are asking. You are trying to proactively notify staff when an order comes through, right? Shopify POS doesn't have an event listener for third-party apps that will pop anything up - users must open the 3rd party app within Shopify POS in order to use it (or keep this app open the entire time which will cover up Shopify POS itself). 

I recognize you're using Shopify POS as your POS in your store, but given that the orders are already outside of Shopify and you need notification, my recommendation is just to find a third party mobile web or native app for restaurant ticketing with an actual listener and integrate it with your existing system.

In terms of reconciling accounting for these orders, this is outside of my area of expertise. 

But if you would like to explore the possible Shopify APIs that could potentially help with the above, I suggest looking at Orders and DraftOrders. And then for building a POS embedded app, look into  Shopify App Bridge SDK. Good luck!

0 Likes