Testing GDPR Hooks

Solved
Highlighted

Hi

Is there a way to test calling the GDPR Hooks?

https://help.shopify.com/en/api/guides/gdpr-resources

I cant see them under Settings>Notification

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1129 82 183

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @MartinGlenware , 

These webhooks aren't configured within the admin, they're actually set up through the Partner Dashboard. 

If you log into your Partner account, choose an app, and go into the 'App Setup' tab, in the 'Webhooks' section on that page will be where you set up URLs that you want GDPR webhooks to be sent to. Then when a GDPR request is triggered on any shop that has your app installed, it'll be sent to you. 

Two of the GDPR requests can be triggered from a customer page in the Shopify admin, but only the customers/data_request webhook is actually sent right away. The timeline for when the others will be sent is documented here - but there's no way to trigger the shop/redact or customers/redact webhooks on-demand that I am aware of. 

1 Like
Highlighted

Hi

Thanks for your response - it would have been useful to be able to test all of the hooks, but Ive got unit tests so have coverage

I can also disable webhook validation to send some test messages

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

@Josh, are you able to explain how to test those 2 GDPR request from customers page please?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, we have the same issue.

We have implemented all three GDPR webhooks:

1. customers/redact - Requests deletion of customer data.
2. shop/redact - Requests deletion of shop data.
3. customers/data_request - Requests to view stored customer data.

We were able to test #3 (customers/data_request), but did not find a way how to test #1 and #2.
We have everything covered by tests created based on documentation. Because #3 is working we are pretty sure that #1 and #2 will also work, but are not 100% sure.

Can you please consider implementing some test mechanism. It would be really nice if there would be a button besides each of the three endpoints on App settings page - where you define endpoint URL. 

0 Likes