This plan has a yearly discounted price - how to charge?

danbergan
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

When creating my app listing, Shopify has a checkbox for a yearly discounted price (charged once per year.)

We offer a yearly discounted price at our web site (for non-shopify customers), and so our app was rejected for not offering this at Shopify.  However, I cannot see a way to create a yearly charge with the RecurringApplicationCharge API.

Am I missing something?  Or, can someone let me know how I can create a yearly charge?

(It would be SO helpful if I could reply to app rejection and get more information!  My rejection also included a non-working link - so, I can't even see where the other error occurred...).

Thanks - 

Dan

0 Likes
danbergan
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

I don't see any way to create a recurring charge with a period other than the default 30 days.  Is that correct? 

Does anyone from Shopify monitor these forums?

0 Likes
SBD_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1071 143 189

Hey @danbergan,

I believe you'd need to use an Application Charge for this.

0 Likes
danbergan
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

@SBD_  From the first two sentences on that page:

The ApplicationCharge resource facilitates one-time charges. This type of charge is recommended for apps that aren’t billed on a recurring basis.

I am talking about a recurring yearly charge.

0 Likes
SBD_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1071 143 189

The recurringApplicationCharge is a 30-day recurring charge and can't be set to yearly. To create a discounted yearly charge, you could either:

- Use ApplicationCharge to bill an entire year, and keep track of the expiration date on your end.

- Or, experiment with UsageCharge.

0 Likes
danbergan
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Ok, so Shopify is requiring that we have an yearly charge option, but the API doesn't support it, and so we have to come up with a kludgy work-around, or have our app rejected.

0 Likes
danbergan
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

I think the only solution we have is to remove the yearly plan from our offering (and from our website) since Shopify won't allow us to have a yearly plan available (even for non-shopify clients.)  

0 Likes
jaystricks
5 0 0

I believe the new GraphQL API offers the option for an annual charge. But you're right that the Admin REST API does not (or at least did not when I last checked).

0 Likes