Tracking Sales

FloSP
Shopify Partner
3 0 0
Hey Shopify Devs,

We’re currently trying to track sales that have been initiated from our platform. We used the “ref” parameter on product links during our testing and found that the Order API returns null for both landing_site and landing_site_ref.
We got to the point where we could see it in the admin web console, but couldn't find it anywhere in the API.

Is there a bug that you’re aware of or any other complication that we’re missing?

Thanks for your help,
Flo
Replies 8 (8)

SBD_
Shopify Staff
1829 269 405

Hey @FloSP,

I broke down the differences and explained some of the nuances here: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/How-to-track-the-referral-of-the-order/td-p/587171

If this doesn't clarify, are you able to provide an example store + order ID (where you can see the ref in the admin but not the API).

Scott | Developer Advocate @ Shopify 

FloSP
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hi @SBD_ ,

I've tried out what you sent to us, and the results are following:
• when I go to add to cart and then proceed to click on the cart and finalize the sale, then the ref gets propagated to the API
• when I go to buy it now (which takes me directly to the cart), then it doesn't get propagated

Is this a bug or expected behavior? If it's expected, is there a better way to track the referral? Thank you for your help!

Screenshot from 2020-01-21 11-28-57.png

SBD_
Shopify Staff
1829 269 405

Thanks @FloSP. I'm able to replicate. Feels like a bug, I'll raise this internally.

In the meantime, consider pulling the ref out of referring_site.

FloSP
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hi @SBD_ ! Wanted to check in to see if you had received any updates? In the meantime we tried using referring_site and it looks like it has the exact same issue

SBD_
Shopify Staff
1829 269 405

Hey @FloSP,

No updates yet. 

we tried using referring_site and it looks like it has the exact same issue

I placed a buy it now order and the ref was in the referring_site, for example, starting with: site.com/product/some-product?ref=abc, should set the referring_site to site.com/product/some-product?ref=abc (assuming it's the first visit/referral).

Can you try in an incognito window. If you hit the same issue please provide the store url + order id (reply or DM).

SBD_
Shopify Staff
1829 269 405

Hey @FloSP,

Just heard back. This is the intended behaviour.

All the attribution data collection on checkout is only supported for the Online Store sales channel. We haven't started deprecating and removing those attributes.

Jager
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @SBD_,

I am integrating Shopify with our affiliate platform and I need to track the orders/checkouts referrals using webhooks. I read the docs but I have not found anything or anyway to do it, please tell me what I have to do to get the orders/checkouts referrals using webhooks.

Thank you.

srameshr
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Whats the alternative if you plan to deprecate it? Does not make sense where add to cart works but buy now wont!