Tracking campaign conversions properly

Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

Hello,

I'm stuck with this problem. I can't track utm_campaign results properly.

Google Analytics has this information, but is useless because a lot of orders aren't registered

The Shopify Orders Api, records the "Landing_site" variable, which includes all the utm variables used in the campaign (if any, of course), but for some cruel and incomprehensible decision, the "landing_site" variable records the FIRST visit of the buyer to the site, and not the actual visit that generated the order.

So if the buyer visited the site for the first time 2 months ago, then that's the landing page that's recorded. Useless at an epic scale. I would love to be proved wrong on this one.

What would be the way to access the utm_campaign variables associated with an order? Is that information available in another Shopify api? I don't mind blending data from different apis. Just for the records, I'm using a PHP library to access the apis.

Thanks,

Enrique

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
592 72 131

Hey @eflouret,

As you mentioned, Shopify records the "first-click" attribution on the order landing site property. Many businesses find this information helpful, as it allows them to determine which campaign initially led the customer to the brand.

If you want to see "last-click" attribution data for orders, this information is available in a report in the admin, however isn't currently available through the API. To see last-click attribution in the admin, go to the Reports section, and under the Behaviour section choose Conversion by last interaction.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

Sorry, I missed your reply.

That report is either deprecated, or for a higher account plan.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Good morning, 

I have the same issue. Does this information still hold true, and is there no way to get last click attribution landing_site from the API?

Thanks,

Kim

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

It seems that's not possible at all. I wonder why a Staff member sent me to a report that doesn't exist or doesn't belong to my plan.

The first visit may work for a branding campaign, but in no way it is related with the results of a sales campaign. If I decide to do paid advertising, I wouldn't be able to check the results. This makes me doubt about offering an affiliate program or anything similar. 

Since Shopify is a large company, this isn't obviously something they've missed. There must be some reason not to give the store owners the chance to see how campaigns perform.

Don't ask me why, but it looks like that.

Enrique

0 Likes