Transaction API Multiple Captures

Solved
sublet
Shopify Partner
8 0 0

If I am reading the transactions API correctly, it's telling me we can only capture once.

"You can capture a payment only once for an order, and the payment can't be more than the order's authorized amount. This means that your customers can't add to an existing order. If they want to add more products after an order has been placed, then they need to make a new order."

Is there any way to capture for partial payment, when one part of an order goes out, and then the second part goes out a few days later?  What is the point of partial payments if this isn't the case.

0 Likes
Shayne
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
202 9 46

Hey Sublet,

You can do multiple partial captures if the gateway supports it, but once the full amount is captured, that's it.

The docs could probably be a little clearer on that, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Shayne | Developer @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes
sublet
Shopify Partner
8 0 0

Is Shopify Payments one of those? Anytime I do a partial capture it closes it out and issues a refund for the remainder.

0 Likes
sublet
Shopify Partner
8 0 0

Shayne?

0 Likes
Shayne
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
202 9 46

This is an accepted solution.

Correct, Shopify payments only allows a single capture.

If you attempt to do a partial capture (even through the Admin) you'll notice the following message in orange :

-hurpr-5x27s

Some gateways do allow multiple captures, but Shopify Payments is not one of them.

Shayne | Developer @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

0 Likes
jeansu_can
1 0 0

Hi Shayne,

My team is using hosted payment gateway for hooking up capture feature with capture api.
My understanding is that once "Capture" button is clicked for an order on Shopify order dashboard, the capture API will be invoked and response will have x_transaction_type = 'capture'.

Then the "Capture" button will be disabled for that order even though only partial amount was captured.
Can you please provide more guidance on how we other payment gateways could conduct multiple capture actions from Shopify order dashboard?

Thanks,

Jean

0 Likes
greg_b
5 0 0

Hi @Shayne -- Can you help point me to the documentation for how a Gateway built using the Shopify Hosted Payment SDK can allow multiple captures? Thanks!

0 Likes