Update product price via API

Solved
anonymous1
Excursionist
19 3 10

Hey everyone - very quick question.  How do you update a product's price via the API? Just including a "price" key/value in the PUT/POST payload isn't doing the trick.  Do I have to create a product variant for this, even if my product has no variants?

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
achieveapplabs
Shopify Partner
495 39 76

Hi @anonymous1 ,

Use your product ID for variant ID see if that works. Also wouldn't hurt to show us what you're payload and any errors.

Regards,

Sam

Use Approovly to create and track order approvals | Looking for more Shopify apps? achieveapplabs.com/#apps
0 Likes
anonymous1
Excursionist
19 3 10

Thanks!  I guess that's my question - do you have to update a "variant" to update price?  The docs are surprisingly silent about what I would think would be a top-level  operation for any Shopify dev - updating price via API.

Here's what my payload looks like to the /products endpoint:

product_payload = {
    'product': {
        'title': self.title,
        'body_html': self.description,
        'published': self.published,
        'price': json.dumps(self.price, use_decimal=True)
    }
}

Everything but price gets updated/set correctly.

Thanks for your time!

0 Likes
anonymous1
Excursionist
19 3 10

This is an accepted solution.

I want to respond to my own thread here with the solution.  A thing that is not 100% clear about Shopify products is that they DO NOT have a price associated with them.  Only the product VARIANTS have prices.  Even if you have a product with no variants, Shopify has secretly created a single variant for your product and this is the object that contains your price.  So if you wanted to update your product's price, you can't make a call to /products/{product.id}.json you have to call /variants/{variant.id}.json with price as part of the payload.  A bit confusing and not exactly spelled out, but makes sense!

tahiralvi
Tourist
10 0 0

Thanks for the answer, but It is really a strange that for a product without any variant you update /variants/{variant.id}.json instead of /products/{product.id}.json.

Anyway Good Catch.

0 Likes
achieveapplabs
Shopify Partner
495 39 76

remember running into this and yes the docs didn’t make it clear what ID to use when a product has no variants. My vote towards enhancing the document for Orders API.

Use Approovly to create and track order approvals | Looking for more Shopify apps? achieveapplabs.com/#apps
0 Likes
tahiralvi
Tourist
10 0 0

@achieveapplabs Agreed.

0 Likes
ChandaneshKC32
10 0 0
var data = JSON.stringify({
"product": {
"title": "Test",
"body_html": "Test",