Updating sales tax

3 0 0

I am trying to update sales tax total_tax, rate, etc on a draft and standard order.  I am not having any luck through the api.  I can update notes, but not tax, what is required to update sales tax from my application through the shopify API. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
249 34 38

Hey @tone10,

The tax will be calculated based on the shipping address attached to the order.

0 Likes
3 0 0

Thank you Scott, 

I am leveraging the shipping information to calculate the sales tax via my third party app.  I am using metafields to post the data currently.  However, I would prefer to update the total_tax line itself from my application instead of leveraging internal Shopify tax tables.  Would I somehow update the customer data and associate the rate to the customer's shipping address in Shopify? 

It does not appear you can readily update total tax the order by merely sending the tax total via a json/curl put call.  What am I missing? 

Thank you

0 Likes
3 0 0

@scottydont 

Thank you Scott, 

I am leveraging the shipping information to calculate the sales tax via my third party app.  I am using metafields to post the data currently.  However, I would prefer to update the total_tax line itself from my application instead of leveraging internal Shopify tax tables.  Would I somehow update the customer data and associate the rate to the customer's shipping address in Shopify? 

It does not appear you can readily update total tax the order by merely sending the tax total via a json/curl put call.  What am I missing? 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
249 34 38

Hey @tone10,

Would I somehow update the customer data and associate the rate to the customer's shipping address in Shopify? 

I think this would be the only way. Someone else might have a suggestion.

That's right, the checkout tax_lines are read only.

1 Like