Usage charge billing frequency: bundled vs. real-time/as-you-go billing

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
21 0 2

Hi,

We have an app that charges customer based on # of orders per month. If we charge a few cents (i.e. $0.02) per order, is it better to send usage_charge to Shopify real-time/as-you-go (per order) or lump them together (bundled)?

Here are some clarification questions:

• Does Shopify automatically bundle usage charges? If we issue a usage_charge per order, does the client see multiple charges on their Shopify bill? For example, if we issue 200 usage_charges at $0.02/each during the course of a month, will customer see: 
    • 200 individual charges for $0.02
    • a charge per day, or
    • a charge for $4 at end of 30 days?
  • If Shopify doesn't bundle charges automatically, and we issue usage_charge periodically (at end of day or when certain threshold is reached), what happens if a client uninstalls the app before the next charge is issued? Do we need to manage usage charge with the app_uninstall webhook?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
18 1 3

Did you ever discover anything regarding this? I have some charges right now that I need to bundle together. In this case many charges are fractions of a cent. I discovered Shopify only supports whole cents. So I’m thinking about the best way to bundle some charges together. 

0 Likes