Using fulfillmentService to automatically fulfill orders for products stocked in multiple locations

Highlighted
Tourist
5 1 0

Documentation (and the inventory interface for individual products in admin) indicate that using a fulfillmentService for a product makes it impossible to track inventory of that same product in another location (like a physical store).

This is confusing to me because it seems natural to want to have some stock on hand in a physical store.

My client wants to prioritise manual fulfillment from stock that he already has in his physical store (location 1)
When products are not in stock in that location, he wishes that those products be automatically ordered via the fulfillment service (location 2).

So is it possible to prioritise my locations as follows:

1st priority : physical shop (location 1 - manual fulfillment)
       2nd priority: supplier’s warehouse (location 2 - fully automatic fulfillmentService)

The fulfillmentService needs to automatically do the following (the usual stuff):
       - fill the fulfillmentorders assigned to it automatically, immediately upon purchase.
       - mark the fulfillmentorder as “fulfilled”
       - recognise when the customer changes the location for a particular product line in an order and fulfill or cancel fulfillment via the fulfillmentService accordingly.

The following lines from Shopify Docs suggest that my envisaged fulfillmentService solution will conflict with managing inventories in two locations :

“If you use a third-party fulfillment service for a product, then you can't also stock the product in the locations that you manage.” (“If you use a third-party fulfillment service for a product, then you can't also stock the product i...)

“A fulfillment service always has its own location, and variants managed by the fulfillment service should always be fulfilled from that location.” (“A fulfillment service always has its own location, and variants managed by the fulfillment service ...)

... But, Confusingly, there is this mutation in Graphql reference documentation :

FulfillmentOrderMove: “Moves a fulfillment order to a new location.”

This suggests that FulfillmentServices CAN work with products also stocked in multiple locations!

Could anyone please clarify this and recommend a pathway to a solution?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 1 0

Still looking for clarification.... shopify support??

0 Likes