Using shipping status as a trigger in external apps

1 0 0

I would like to know if the Shopify API allows external apps to access the shipping status label (e.g. "In Transit" or "Delivered")? I would like to use this as a trigger in our email marketing automation software to send an email X hours/days after an order is marked with the label "Delivered".

I need to be able to give our email software provider confirmation that this is possible and guide them to the source of this data.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
639 73 146

Hey, @toakchocolate 

It might be worthwhile looking into the FulfillmentEvent API Reference guide that we have hereThere are a variety of FulfillmentEvent properties that you can use, such as the Fulfillment Status.

20-05-qv39v-tfjcn

Let me know if this helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

7 0 0

I've been unable to successfully use the FulfillmentEvent API . I'm following the most basic POST create example and it seems like no matter what I always get an error.

Example request:

curl -X POST -d '{ "event": { "status": "in_transit" }}' -H 'X-Shopify-Access-Token: xxx' https://xxx.myshopify.com/admin/api/2020-04/orders/2446312636486/fulfillments/2324900839494/events.json

Response:

{"errors":{"event":"Required parameter missing or invalid"}}

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong here? I've tried adding shop_id, order_id, fulfillment_id to the request as well as different values for "status" but it's always an error.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
4320 35 445

In your original question, you asked how you could get the status of shipping to trigger external Apps. Now you are saying POST does not work? What are you POSTing? Why are you POSTing?

1. you can setup a simple App to listen to Fulfillment Events. When you get one interesting, like a shipping update, send an email!

2. with some kind of code you write, you can POLL your shop, and with the API, GET fulfillment events you have not seen (created today for example), and then you look for interesting ones, and again, send an email when appropriate.

ALL GET. NO POST.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
7 0 0

To answer my own question, I forgot to include "Content-Type: application/json" in my HTTP POST. My bad!

0 Likes