Versioning is coming to private apps

Alex_B
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
57 4 28

TL;DR - Versioning is coming to private apps on April 1st, 2021. This means that private apps will no longer have access to unsupported versions of the API. Requests from private apps that use deprecated behavior will no longer be supported, and will instead follow the same behavior as public apps.

---

Hey app devs!

While private apps have actually always had access to versioned APIs, they have also been able to access older unsupported versions. This extended access to unsupported versions is coming to an end.

I’m spinning up this thread to raise awareness and provide a space to ask questions about Versioning and Private apps. First, a bit of history:

When COVID-19 happened, we decided to indefinitely postpone API version deprecations for private apps. The tailored nature of their solutions, as well as the difficulty in notifying a technical contact, made it challenging for merchants to manage the migration of their apps, all while adapting to new ways of selling during the pandemic.

However, as we adjust to a new normal, we want to return all apps to the same versioning timeline. By fully deprecating old versions, Shopify can remove old code paths, leading to a more performant platform experience for everyone.

In clear terms, this means that requests from private apps follow the same behavior as public apps, starting on April 1st, 2021. Importantly, that means that every breaking change we’ve released to the API since we began versioning will now also apply to private apps.

Where can I learn more about this?

The Versioning -> Private Apps page is the main hub that contains all of the information and links you need to ensure your private app is ready for this shift.

For information about your specific app, you can use the API Health endpoint to see exactly what changes affect you.

Finally, you can also check out our “API Deprecations at Shopify” series for insight and demos of the specific changes.

COMING SOON: I’ll release the insomnia collection from my private app versioning stream that has easy-to-use requests.

0 Likes