Very occasional missing web hooks for Order/Create

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

I have an app customer who, every few days, is noticing an order that is seeming to not fire the created web hook.

My logic is:

- The web hook handler code logs the raw web hook data before doing any processing (aside from authenticating that the request came from Shopify)

- The logs are missing these occasional orders.

- Even if there was a one-off outage of the server, it would be retried for 48 hours, and they are correctly receiving other orders within the next minute anyway.

Thus, it seems like the handler just isn't being triggered for this web hook sometimes (very rarely, but sometimes).

If I provided an order ID, could this be traced on Shopify's side to see if anything went awry?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
491 97 88

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @bbarr 

If you contact our support team the technical support team may be able to look into if the webhook was sent. Just remember, webhooks are known to be unstable and we do recommend you implement a polling job to reconcile anything missed. 

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

So Shopify does not ensure at-least-once triggering of web hooks? I get that a polling job can reconcile Order/Create and even Order/Update (with updated_at_min) can be made manageable. But for Customer/Delete, this entails creating a fully synced copy of the database on my side and full scans of the API for missing records, no?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
491 97 88

This is an accepted solution.

@bbarr Agreed that its not ideal for all endpoints. Here is what is written in the docs: 

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes