We’ve updated our API ToU and Partner Program Agreement

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1 0 0

We recently made some updates to the Shopify Partner Program Agreement (PPA) and the Shopify API License and Terms of Use (API Terms). These changes encourage the best possible merchant experience within our developer and partner ecosystem and protect the integrity of the Shopify platform.

Please review this summary of some of the changes we’ve introduced on our Developer changelog. We encourage you to take a few moments to review the updated PPA and Shopify API Terms to better understand how all of the updates may impact your business.

og-image

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 7

What does this exactly mean: "All data relating to a merchant’s customers that a partner collects on behalf of the merchant (excluding any sensitive personal information) must be sent back to Shopify."

7 Likes
2 0 8

More changes to the partner program that DON'T benefit the partner/developer in anyway.....

4 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 13

Hey,

I would really like to understand what are the implications of your recent announcement that all payment processing should go through Shopify checkout.

All checkout and payment processing must go through Shopify checkout. Partners cannot bypass Shopify checkout unless authorized by Shopify in writing.

I see this as being targeted toward app developers(for example, ReCharge). They would charge 1% commission on their Custom Checkout experience, which theoretically would be lost commission for you. I get that.

However, there is another scenario. For the market I am currently developing for, Shopify Checkout is lacking. Common means of payment are banking integrations and shipping is often done to Pickup points, both features not possible to implement with Shopify Checkout.

So custom checkout makes sense - for shipping support and at least for some payment processing.

So, now, as a Partner I would not be able to deliver this functionality, essentially, making Shopify a very unattractive choice for this market. 

However, if someone, who is not a Partner, would instead get a Staff account on the Merchant's store and developed this checkout on their own - they would not be breaching any ToS agreement and would be good to go.

How come I, as a Partner, have been put in a disadvantageous position when it comes to delivering solutions for my clients.

10 Likes
Shopify Partner
36 0 26

"All data relating to a merchant’s customers that a partner collects on behalf of the merchant (excluding any sensitive personal information) must be sent back to Shopify."

I don't find this statement explained in the latest Partner & API terms page.  Shopify needs to provide a mechanism to send back this customer data. If the customer data is received via Shopify API then is it still required to be sent back and how? Or does this apply only to customer data collected outside of Shopify? Very confusing change that we don't know how to implement before the deadline of May 12, 2019. Apps team please clarify. Thx

4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1843 170 534

I will quickly add that in addition to raising my concerns over on the FB partners group, I totally agree with @Nesters and it's a major pain point for me going forward with Shopify.

I've put a good 6 weeks in to developing a design system targeted at ReactJS based SSRs such as Gatsby or Next exactly because I wanted to provide a storefront solution that has less limitations for merchants. One of the options there is for checkout to bypass Shopify's checkout completely because let's face it people - if you have a storefront like it's 2019 and then you redirect to a checkout that's like 2014 and on top of that it's on a different URL because you can't frame it in to your PWA app... well I am short of civil words to describe this situation. It is not nice!

Look, I get it that you want to keep transactions revenues and I am totally okay with that and so is anyone signing up for Shopify. That's not really the issue or motivation to bypass checkout.

The reason to bypass Shopify checkout is you are NOT listening and from what I can tell from 2013 onward backlogs in these forums have staunchly held position that Shopify checkout is optimal and if you believe it isn't "look at your Plus plan".

1. Please clarify what @Nesters already mentions - is it okay for merchants to bypass Shopify checkout on their own behalf without partner / dev intervention?
  2. Please clarify what this means "Partners cannot bypass Shopify checkout unless authorized by Shopify in writing." - in particular the circumstances of getting authorisation from Shopify to bypass checkout?
  3. Please do not make assumptions about checkout and what's best for merchants. Yes you have your numbers to backup your claims and I am sure that checkout, as is, is very effective. But put that in to a completely bespoke and highly branded storefront theme, possibly not even based on Liquid or served by Shopify, and that "highly effective" checkout suddenly sticks out like a massive UX blunder. Open up checkout customisation for all plans.
  4. Please complete API checkout - no, webUrl to complete payment step is not good enough for all the reasons mentioned above. Imagine the agony of doing a mobile app and having to load a web view just so we can load that checkout step? You guys surely know that web view on some mobile platforms is quite ineffective. Not to mention the horrid UX when your customer gets kicked out of a stunning native UI experience in to that checkout web view.

So yes, guys & gals, you have my support and all if you wish to forbid bypassing Shopify checkout - but please allow us to use it properly first!

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
9 Likes
2 0 4

@Irene wrote:

We recently made some updates to the Shopify Partner Program Agreement (PPA) and the Shopify API License and Terms of Use (API Terms). These changes encourage the best possible merchant experience within our developer and partner ecosystem and protect the integrity of the Shopify platform.

Please review this summary of some of the changes we’ve introduced on our Developer changelog. We encourage you to take a few moments to review the updated PPA and Shopify API Terms to better understand how all of the updates may impact your business.

"All checkout and payment processing must go through Shopify checkout. Partners cannot bypass Shopify checkout unless authorized by Shopify in writing."

@Irene Given the fact that we already operate a solution that violates this policy, who can we contact to discuss a potential authorization by Shopify?

Also, how will this impact merchants that already rely on our solution?

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 4

All checkout and payment processing must go through Shopify checkout. Partners cannot bypass Shopify checkout unless authorized by Shopify in writing.

Our app has currently a solution that bypasses Shopify checkout mainly due to the fact the checkout API is not providing enough functionality to achieve what merchants require.
Moreover, there are merchants who originally didn't use Shopify due to certain features missing and finding out they can achieve them using this method, decided to join Shopify.

Also, you are requiring partners to implement changes outlined here within 60 days, without providing an alternative solution, which in some cases may be affecting months of development, with such a small grace period.

4 Likes
2 0 8

How can you bring out new rules like this; then we get total radio silence on the issue? 

WE NEED ANSWERS!! 

I need to make changes to my business if the new rules are so, can you please clear up painpoints with this.

giphy.gif

4 Likes
2 0 5

In the API Terms, section 2.3.18 says this:

"not use an alternative to Shopify Checkout for web checkout or payment processing, or register any transactions through the Shopify API, without Shopify’s express written authorization."

Does this mean that we're no longer able to use the Orders API Create Transaction endpoint at all for any reason without Shopify's permission?

1 Like