We’ve updated our API ToU and Partner Program Agreement

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
180 6 37

@KarlOffenberger wrote:

@Irene and @Shayne 

Thanks for responding with updated documentation and clarification on many concerns raised here. I am no lawyer so all this legal lingo is a little beyond me, but could you also be more explicit about

You're a partner that works with individual merchants on custom checkout needs using a private app. These changes don't affect your current engagements with these existing merchants.

mentioned in documentation. The bold text implies that the changes do not affect existing private apps but leaves a little uncertainty about new private apps. Am I reading too much in to this? The ToS simply exclude all private apps and make no mention of existing or new engagements.

Thanks for listening and being open!

No worries Karl, better safe than sorry. Private apps, new or old, are not affected.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1843 170 534

Awesome, thanks once more @Shayne !

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
1 Like
Shopify Partner
2 0 8

Our competitors in the face of Bold, One Click Checkout and Carthook have all released statements, that their custom checkouts have been authorized to keep working. What are the rules/conditions that we need to comply with to get this authorization? Who can we talk to? Also, what will happen to our current customer base?

Thank you to @Shayne and the Shopify team for the clarifications. It's a Friday, so extra props and thank you's for your quick responses!

In regards to @leteyski's comments, could @Shayne  or someone from Shopify comment about it? For example, my software sells a combination of a software product/customization service using private APIs. As outlined in the Terms of Use, we don't use Shopify's OAuth/Public App Store integration, but technically speaking, we do have a URL (our website) where customers can come and go through the installation to see how things work and contact us for further customization needs within our software.

Again, thanks again to Shopify's team in addressing this change. How you guys have responded really puts into focus the word "Partner" in Shopify Partners.

1 Like
Tourist
5 0 3

I'll throw my hat in the ring here, and welcome clarification from whoever might want to pitch in. I've already contacted Shopify directly, but it would be nice to get a broader opinion on this.

We're a few weeks into developing an integration between our standalone inventory management and point of sale system and Shopify. Our plan is to start by coupling as loosely as possible with Shopify by only syncing items first listed on our end with Shopify products. We'll then track all quantity changes to keep inventory levels in sync for this subset of the merchant's items, and listen for sales so we can handle some consignment workflows.

The customer data requirement is not a showstopper for us, but it doesn't seem to make much sense because Shopify's justification for the policy is to provide the merchant access to their customer data (which we do). However, our merchants have already chosen to trust us, and we're referring them to Shopify as an ancillary partner. What makes Shopify more trustworthy than our software? Additionally, our point of sale is only meant to be used for brick-and-mortar sales, not for web sales, which makes the segment of customers we track in our software pretty distinct from the segment of customers who purchase items through Shopify. It seems to me that the merchant has entrusted us with brick-and-mortar customer data; Shopify with online customer data. Finally, it's the merchants themselves who enter data into our system, at no time do we interact directly with the customer.

The bigger issue for us, of course, is the requirement to use Shopify's own checkout. The criticism that a checkout experience might be bad for a customer doesn't really hold water for us, since our checkout experience is merchant-facing; again, at no point do we interact directly with a customer. Like several other folks in this thread, our POS is custom-made because it supports some specific use cases having to do with our market. Additionally, the same argument applies that Shopify's value-add for us here has nothing to do with brick-and-mortar sales, we're more interested in using Shopify to enable our merchants to make online sales. It sounds like we can apply here for an exception, and there's no reason for Shopify to turn us down, but I also am curious about the details of how to go about that, on what criteria the checkout is judged, etc.

I was also curious to have a few terms defined, specifically with reference to our use case, where we're less of an app, and just as much a "platform" as Shopify is.

• The distinction between public and private is still unclear to me. As defined in the ToU, public apps are "made available to Merchants either via a URL or through the Shopify App Store." Ours is authenticated using OAuth, and is meant to be used by multiple stores generically, but it isn't accessible at a public URL or in the App Store, but rather via an authenticated settings page, under a pre-existing ToS agreement with us. Is that public or private?
  • In 2.3.18, the ToU says "not use an alternative to Shopify Checkout for web checkout or payment processing". Is "web" associated with "checkout" only, or does it also qualify "payment processing". If the restriction is only for online checkout/payment processing, then it sounds like brick-and-mortar checkouts aren't restricted.

Sorry if this was a bit long-winded! It's a complex matter, and appears to have some major potential downsides for us, to the point that we'd have to abandon Shopify for an inferior solution. Shopify is the best out there though, so we'd love to make this work.

1 Like
1 0 2

All data relating to a merchant’s customers that a partner collects on behalf of the merchant (excluding any sensitive personal information) must be sent back to Shopify.

I'd like some clarification on this as well. We are a platform that enables merchants to chat with their customers online, through email and social channels. This means that any email the merchant receives at their email channel or through those channels, appear on our platform. In those conversations, we collect the other party's name and email address, and the contacts which exist on our platform for a merchant might or might not be relevant to Shopify (could be that the merchant is in an email conversation with another app provider), so it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to sync the data back to Shopify. In fact there's no real way of determining whether a contact is relevant to Shopify as a Customer resource or not.

The other issue is that if multiple apps collect name + email + phone, and with each app syncing their own version of the data back to Shopify, wouldn't that conflict (last write wins) and possibly mess up the customer information on the Shopify side? Wouldn't this also result in a large number of Shopify Customer objects being created on the merchant's store, regardless if the customer was actually a customer or purchased anything?

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 3

@donny wrote:

In the API Terms, section 2.3.18 says this:

"not use an alternative to Shopify Checkout for web checkout or payment processing, or register any transactions through the Shopify API, without Shopify’s express written authorization."

Does this mean that we're no longer able to use the Orders API Create Transaction endpoint at all for any reason without Shopify's permission?

Can we please get some clarification on this?

1 Like
2 0 0

Thanks for updating the language but also have questions similar to @heng .

We are very different from other folks here - we are a Private App that uses the APIs to extract data and build marketing models for our clients including direct mail models.  We at times will get updated suppression lists from their direct mail or email platforms.  Do we need to push back this updated marketing information into the customer model?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 3

I've just read the updated ToU section 2.3.17, and the justification provided in the email sent out today seems fair. Thanks for qualifying that, Shopify.

I'd still be interested in some clarification of the terms I listed above, i.e., public vs private apps, and the nature of transactions subject to the checkout API.

1 Like
2 0 0

Hi Shopify Team,

Thanks for the email and update on API License and Terms today.

One question for us.  If we utilize API to pull in our customer and order data and then also separately use Mailchimp APIs to pull in our email data, do we need to update Shopify accepts_marketing and accepts_marketing_updated_at because Mailchimp will no longer be directly connected.  Currently we don't update because we assume the Mailchimp integration takes care of it.

Thanks,

Dan

@DaasityDan wrote:

Thanks for updating the language but also have questions similar to @heng .

We are very different from other folks here - we are a Private App that uses the APIs to extract data and build marketing models for our clients including direct mail models.  We at times will get updated suppression lists from their direct mail or email platforms.  Do we need to push back this updated marketing information into the customer model?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 3

Is anyone replying to this thread anymore. Please can you clarify this point:

In the API Terms, section 2.3.18 says this:

"not use an alternative to Shopify Checkout for web checkout or payment processing, or register any transactions through the Shopify API, without Shopify’s express written authorization."

Does this mean that we're no longer able to use the Orders API Create Transaction endpoint at all for any reason without Shopify's permission?

1 Like