Weight based shipping rates issue with draft orders orders

Conversion_Bear
Shopify Partner
56 0 31
A merchant that's using our app recently encountered an inconsistent bug that affects weight based shipping rates in generated draft orders. I'm hoping that the Shopify team or someone here is able to shed some light on this topic.

Basically, weight based shipping rules aren't being applied according to the total weight that is specified in the generated order. This happens only in some cases that we can't unfortunately pack into a reproducible scenario.

Here are some details straight from the shop:

Shipping rules are based on weight
Weight based shipping ratesWeight based shipping rates

--> As you can see in the screenshot the shipping rate for 1lb-2lb is $9.95 and for 2lb-4lb is $11.95.

Image A - expected behavior - generated draft order with the same line items, shipping is calculated as expected ($11.95) - Total weight is 36 oz so it fits within the 2lb-4lb rate
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-23 at 16.35.03 (1).jpeg
Image B - buggy behavior  - generated draft order with the same line items, shipping is not calculated as expected ($9.95 instead of $11.95) - Total weight is 48 oz, the 1lb-2lb rate is applied 
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-23 at 16.35.03.jpeg

To Shopify team members:  would love to share the order id so you could debug the order payload on your end.

Much thanks 🙏

Replies 9 (9)

syf_
Shopify Staff
95 21 24

Hey @Conversion_Bear,

Could you provide an x-request-id (found in the response header) of when you're on the buggy order page, so I can investigate this further.

Thanks,
Seth.

syf_ | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

Conversion_Bear
Shopify Partner
56 0 31

Thanks @syf_ !

x-request-id: f69a04fe-8f65-4847-b9ab-1ae1b74a4b5a

Let me know if you need anything else
syf_
Shopify Staff
95 21 24

Thanks for the request-id @Conversion_Bear.

I've taken a look at this and it looks like the 2 order items are being confused as being the same. That being said, is it possible to provide me with replication steps so I can test this behaviour out on my test store?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Seth.

- To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

Conversion_Bear
Shopify Partner
56 0 31

Preliminaries:

1. In your test store create product X - set the product weight to be 12oz.

2. In your store shipping settings, create the following shipping rates:

3. Install Honeycomb

4. Create a cart page funnel that cross sells Product X with a discount of 20% and has a show to all trigger

Customer Scenario:

1. As a customer visit the store and add product X to cart, increase the quantity to 2

2. Proceed to checkout from the cart page

3. View the upsell funnel and add 2 additional product X items to cart

4. proceed to checkout

Actual result: shipping rate is miscalculated.

Please let me know if any further details are needed.

Conversion_Bear
Shopify Partner
56 0 31

@syf_ following up on my last message to see if you have a lead here. Please let me know if you need any further information.

syf_
Shopify Staff
95 21 24

Hi @Conversion_Bear,

Sorry I didn't get back earlier. I was able to reproduce the bug by following the steps you provided. Our dev team are looking into it and conducting their investigation. I don't have an ETA as things stand now, but I'd let you know immediately an update is available.

Thanks,
Seth.

Conversion_Bear
Shopify Partner
56 0 31

Hi Seth,

I appreciate you looking into it.

Is there any progress regarding this issue?

syf_
Shopify Staff
95 21 24

@Conversion_Bear,

There hasn't been any updates on this issue yet. I'd give the dev team a nudge to see if there are any updates to be communicated.

Thanks,
Seth.

TomJanu
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @syf_ ,

Tom here from Digismoothie. Could you please check in on this? We are having a few merchants with exactly the same issue as described above.

Thanks!