What are the limits for creation of PriceRules and DiscountCodes?

Shopify Partner
3 0 0

I am developing an App and in my use-case I need to create a lot of DiscountCodes per PriceRule (could be above 10,000 per PriceRule) . Is there a limit for creating DiscountCodes ? The Api for getting all DiscoutCodes of a PriceRule does not return a paginated list, does it imply that there is a limit?

Also I need to create a lot of PriceRules ? Is there any limitations here?

thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
17 0 4

I have tasted creating DiscountCodes per single PriceRule, 100000+ Codes went in ok. Have not tested limits on the number of PriceRules.

image-1-768x600

Excelify.io | Bulk Import Export Update with Excel | https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import | https://excelify.io
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Thanks for the input!

Did you try to retrieve them with GET /admin/price_rules/#{price_rule_id}/discount_codes.json call?

Cause it looks like it would be a problem to get a response with that much DiscountCodes...

thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
298 29 58

There is currently a limit of 20M price rules and 20M discount codes per shop.

You would definitely be able to retrieve all discount codes using the endpoint which you mentioned.

However, there is a 250 limit on the number of resources returned for a single request, so you would have to break your request up until you retrieved all the discount codes.

This could be done most efficiently using the `since_id` parameter. Your initial call to the endpoint would be of the form: 

GET /admin/price_rules/#{price_rule_id}/discount_codes.json?since_id=0&limit=250

You would then take the largest id returned to you in that response, and use it as the `since_id` value for your next request. Continuing this process would allow you to retrieve all the discount codes associated with that price rule.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Thanks for the answer! it helps a lot. 

The only thing I want to point out is that I haven't seen it in the documentation, I think it could help to know the limitations and more important to understand how you make paginated calls from the documentation

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
298 29 58

We're definitely in the process of coming up with a comprehensive guide to efficient pagination with `since_id`!

It will be announced on the forms when ready, so keep an eye out.

0 Likes