What are the "App URL" and "Allowed redirection URL(s)"?

Whis
Tourist
6 0 2

I'm creating an app through the Partners Dashboard and on the App setup page, there is a section titled URLs with a description of "Shopify merchants access your app through the URLs you specify here.". Two required fields are there: "App URL" and "Allowed redirection URL(s)".

What needs to go in those fields? I don't have a URL for the app because I've just started working on it.

Replies 6 (6)

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @WH 

Your app URL would be your local development URL. 

You can use the Shopify CLI to create a tunneled Ngrok connection, which is a tunnel from the public internet to you... 

The allowed redirection URL is a whitelisted callback URL, which usually takes the form of, for example yourdevhost/auth/callback which is used when you generate API Credentials(docs). 

| Shopify |
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
Whis
Tourist
6 0 2

I don't have a local development URL since I'm trying to develop a purchase functionality through a video game. Am I misunderstanding the purpose of a Shopify app? I understood that an app is needed in order to utilize the API.

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @Whis 

OK - considering the point you wish to develop that type of functionality I can infer that you are proposing to use our Unity SDK(docs) - for this, you just need a Private App, to make requests to the Storefront API.  That's a different route than the one you'd been taking as you'd been setting up a public/custom app. 

Some documentation to set up a private app is here, it's a quick process. Hope that helps!

| Shopify |
Whis
Tourist
6 0 2

Thank you! That helps. However, I need to use Unreal Engine rather than Unity. Is there an alternative to the SDK for use in Unreal?

Luke_K
Shopify Staff
402 66 98

Hey @Whis 

Good question - though it's well documented that Shopify has used the Unreal Engine to present AR/VR options to customers, alas no, there isn't an Unreal engine centric Shopify SDK that's been released just yet. The closest thing would be the Unity Buy SDK right now. I'll mention this ask internally though!

| Shopify |
Whis
Tourist
6 0 2

Thank you. Please let me know what you find out. If not, what is the best way to sell items from a Shopify store entirely within an Unreal Engine game. Is there a guide or any tips you can offer?