What does FulfillmentService "requires_shipping_method" do?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
26 2 4

The documentation for FulfillmentService shows a property "requires_shipping_method". However, this property does not appear in the JSON for my FulfillmentService, and setting it has no effect that I can determine.

The documentation says "States if the fulfillment service requires products to be physically shipped" which doesn't give me any idea what the effects of setting or not setting this flag would be. What does it do?

Has this flag been deprecated and is the documentation out of date?

I'm building a POD service that does ship physical products. I'm using the new FulfillmentOrders flow.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
582 70 127

Hey @stickfigure,

When products are created in Shopify, merchants have the option to indicate whether or not the product requires shipping:

20-02-31cp7-l00i3

When this option is selected, customers with this product in their cart will be prompted to enter a shipping address and choose a shipping method at checkout. When this option isn't selected, the checkout doesn't prompt for any shipping details from the customer.

The requires_shipping_method property determines whether your FulfillmentService will return rates for all products (requires_shipping_method: false), or only products which require shipping (requires_shipping_method: true).

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
26 2 4

Thanks for the response. Can you elaborate on what "will return rates" means? In terms of the API, what consequence does that have?

Also, why doesn't this property exist in my FulfillmentService JSON?

GET https://orbital-commerce-test.myshopify.com/admin/api/2020-01/fulfillment_services/51615989841.json

Returns:

{
  "fulfillment_service": {
    "id": 51615989841,
    "name": "...",
    "email": null,
    "service_name": "...",
    "handle": "...",
    "fulfillment_orders_opt_in": true,
    "include_pending_stock": false,
    "provider_id": null,
    "location_id": 35885383761,
    "callback_url": "...",
    "tracking_support": true,
    "inventory_management": false
  }
}

I don't see a requires_shipping_method property. X-Request-ID: 761d3504-ebf7-4469-9dd0-452a33e4936a, if that helps.

0 Likes