What is the maximum response time to return the response to shopify on carrier service api.

Dinesh_Kumar4
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I am creating a shipping app and sometime shopify show the rate and sometime didn't, So I think there is some limitation with response time on carrier service api, Can anyone please tell me the maximum response time for the carrier service api call.  

0 Likes
Thomas47
Shopify Partner
54 0 11

I have observed the same behaviouir. I estimate it is between 30 and 60 seconds. 30 seconds would  be minimum 'standard' http response time.

0 Likes
Josh_Brown1
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
143 0 29

Hi Dinesh,

The maximum response time is currently 15 seconds. If you app takes longer than that to respond then a timeout will occur and the rates will not appear at checkout.

Thomas47
Shopify Partner
54 0 11

I'd like to make a feature request that this timeout is configurable per carrier service. 

I have a service which does things like checking available flights and so and 15 seconds is somewhat optimistic, causing the occational timeout. So I'd like the default to be 30 seconds.

0 Likes
gordon3
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Is this still the case?  Is it possible to override?  My responses are occasionally taking around 17 to 20 seconds and then very difficult to debug because the server logs output a valid response but shopify displays an error!

0 Likes
Kele_Nakamura
Shopify Partner
18 0 2

would also be great to know what our options are, also heard the timeout is now 10 secs.

basically the user gets a no shipping rates available message, not a timeout message. so a user cannot continue with checkout and they have no way of knowing why.

0 Likes
Thomas47
Shopify Partner
54 0 11

Look here Shopify, it would be nice not to be ignored when you're making feature requests based on real requirements. 

Please get on with this, I am sure customizable timeout is a simple task even for your junior team members. 

0 Likes
kanika_ak
5 0 0

Hey, Just wondering ... was this feature request implemented by Shopify.

Whats the time-out currently?

Is there any way to update the same?

Thanks.

0 Likes
HunkyBill
Shopify Expert
4509 46 492

You are operating a service. You are told you have to respond within 10-15 seconds or you are cut-off from presenting your results. 

How is that a problem? If you cannot figure out a shipping rate in 10 seconds and return it, your service is too slow and needs to be fixed up. Since all major carriers offer API services, and you never sit around for 15 seconds waiting for rates from them, it makes some sense to lump everyone into that range of performance.

Allowing merchants to control this time-out is ludicrous. Imagine your service is so slow it takes 15-25 seconds to return a shipping price? What is your timeout? 25 seconds? No one will wait 25 seconds for shipping rates. They will bail out on a broken site, as that is broken. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
kanika_ak
5 0 0

Well, my APP displays results from all Shipping Carriers and I have set a 10-second timeout to collect rates from different Carriers. So if I chose to wait for all Carriers (in scenarios where one or the other Carrier times out), the APP takes around 12-15 seconds to respond - But Shopify is timing out even this response.

However, everything was good until Saturday morning- there was not even a single time-out for my APP's rates.

I read somewhere that Shopify has reduced the Time-out from 15 seconds to 10 seconds.

0 Likes