Solved

When product released does webhook get generated?

samwise
Shopify Partner
31 0 6

I have scheduled product but noticed when it gets released it does not send webhook on product/update.  I was under impression that is supposed to send an update.  I am wondering if it is the way it works?

Accepted Solutions (2)
Josh
Shopify Staff
1134 84 233

This is an accepted solution.

Hey again, 

Just wanted to confirm that this is the expected behaviour. Since there are publication-specific webhooks, those are what should be fired when the product has been published to a specific sales channel. 

The problem with this, however, is that those publication-based webhooks are also only available to sales channels and not the app ecosystem as a whole. I think that's a concept that we'll need to challenge internally, but in the meantime products/update webhooks won't be fired when a scheduled publication date/time is reached. 

Josh | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Josh
Shopify Staff
1134 84 233

Hey again, 

The webhooks are shown here which is a document for sales channels specifically, but they are shown where you had linked to as well - they're just called product_listings instead of referencing publications specifically. Sorry for the confusion! 

Josh | Shopify 

View solution in original post

Replies 9 (9)

Josh
Shopify Staff
1134 84 233

Hey there, 

I'm able to replicate this as well, the webhook is only fired at the time the future publication date is initially saved.

I want to say it's because an explicit save/update action isn't taken on the product when the publication date hits, but it does look like the updated_at field on the product is changed when the product is released. That does make me feel like maybe we should fire a webhook here. I'll bring this to our development team to see what they think. 

Thanks for pointing it out! 

Josh | Shopify 

Josh
Shopify Staff
1134 84 233

Hey again, 

Just wanted to confirm that this is the expected behaviour. Since there are publication-specific webhooks, those are what should be fired when the product has been published to a specific sales channel. 

The problem with this, however, is that those publication-based webhooks are also only available to sales channels and not the app ecosystem as a whole. I think that's a concept that we'll need to challenge internally, but in the meantime products/update webhooks won't be fired when a scheduled publication date/time is reached. 

Josh | Shopify 

samwise
Shopify Partner
31 0 6

@Josh thanks so much on this. I made solution for this and it seems it is working and under customer testing. 

samwise
Shopify Partner
31 0 6

@Josh also I do not see publication webhook is documented? Unless I am looking at wrong plase.

https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/events/webhook

Josh
Shopify Staff
1134 84 233

Hey again, 

The webhooks are shown here which is a document for sales channels specifically, but they are shown where you had linked to as well - they're just called product_listings instead of referencing publications specifically. Sorry for the confusion! 

Josh | Shopify 

samwise
Shopify Partner
31 0 6

Kewl I will give it a shot.  Otherwis my implementation looks like this which I do not like.  

hopify 2019-05-30 14-23-06.png

samwise
Shopify Partner
31 0 6

@Josh reading from the doc I do not think it is going to work for me.

https://help.shopify.com/en/api/guides/sales-channel-sdk/overview

Usage guidelines
Sales channels must be marketplaces or platforms where merchants can sell 
their products outside of their own branded channels (such as Shopify's online store, Buy Button, or Shopify POS). A channel app and integration must be built directly by the channel partner, or a single affiliated
integration partner approved by the channel partner (for example, a third-party developer or services agency).

Those webhooks purely for own sales channels.  But I basically need to get updates on Shopify's online store and not my own sales channel.  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

Josh
Shopify Staff
1134 84 233

Hey again, 

Sorry I think there may have been a miscommunication, I did mention in an earlier post that they were in fact only available to Sales Channels. I'm trying to make the case internally that these should be available to everyone though , but to be perfectly honest I'm not sure it's something that would qualify as a high priority at this time. Especially with our Unite conference approaching fast. I do hope that this is something that we can change in the future though.

Josh | Shopify 

samwise
Shopify Partner
31 0 6

thank you @Josh ! I think it is ok at this point.