Where should I begin with using the API and making apps?

Solved
Highlighted
Explorer
39 6 11

Hi, I need to learn how to use the API and I'm not sure exactly where to begin.

I'm not alien to basic code, as I think I'm pretty skilled at HTML and intermediately skilled at CSS.

However, I need a crash course in using APIs. I haven't gotten the slightest clue on how to even begin with it.

Does anyone have a sort of "idiot's guide" to using an API and maybe making apps on Shopify?

Thank you for your patience.

If I was able to help you, please help me by liking my comment and marking it as an accepted solution.
If you're feeling extra nice, you can throw a coffee at me through Venmo @scoducks :)

I am open to new business partnerships-- let me know if you need someone to help out with design, product management, social media, marketing, or SEO!
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 1 18

This is an accepted solution.

Shopify has an official guide: https://developers.shopify.com/tutorials/build-a-shopify-app-with-node-and-react

They also have a CLI that generates a starter project and handles some things for you: https://github.com/Shopify/shopify-app-cli

Unfortunately, the tutorial and CLI use React, Next.js, Node.js/Koa, and GraphQL, which all have some degree of learning curve, so may be a lot for you to work with.  None of those things are actually necessary to build a Shopify app, though.

Do you have any experience with Node.js?  Are you familiar with npm/yarn package managers?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
15 1 18

Shopify uses something called OAuth to allow Shopify apps to hit their APIs to access store data after an app is installed on a store.  OAuth is a common standard for authentication flows.  When you sign into an app with Google, or give an app permission to access your data on another app, it's following OAuth.

The big idea is that when someone installs your app, your server ends up with an access token for that specific user/store.  The server stores this in a "session," and any time your app hits the Shopify API, they pass the token along.

1 Like
Highlighted
Explorer
39 6 11

Thank you for the starting information.

I've only heard these things' names before, and am not familiar with any workings, but this gives me a good start. Thank you!

If I was able to help you, please help me by liking my comment and marking it as an accepted solution.
If you're feeling extra nice, you can throw a coffee at me through Venmo @scoducks :)

I am open to new business partnerships-- let me know if you need someone to help out with design, product management, social media, marketing, or SEO!
1 Like