Which API to use?

Solved
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi all,

Apologies if I've missed it clearly in the documentation but I'm trying to understand the main differences between the Storefront API and the Admin API, from what I understand at the moment is the Admin API allows more functionality and privileges for your store whereas the Storefront API only offers basic read-only functionality to the core features of Shopify. 

Is this true or is the best approach to integrate both APIs if I'm looking to build a completely separate UI from Shopify.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
457 93 75

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @dh-thetin 

The Storefront API is built to build buyer facing experiences ex. mobile app, storefront, lookbook. It is a public / unauthenticated API so the only elements that are exposed are ones used to build the buyer experience. This API is used client side by design, and uses the Buyer IP for rate limiting 

The Admin API is for admin facing actions - order management, creating products - and so much more. This requires an API key / password to be hidden and not exposed. You can utilize both API's if you need to get specific data server side or from the Admin API. 

Hope that helps! 

Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi @vix ,

Perfect thank you, most likely we'd need to use both in conjunction.

If we were to execute requests for the Storefront API on the server side, would that mean the IP rate limiting would be for just the servers IP? or is there a way we can get round that?

Thanks

David

0 Likes