Why is Shopify cherry-picking certain apps and killing others?

Tourist
7 0 1

Hey this is Lucas. 

I work together with 6 other developers on a custom checkout for Shopify users in Brazil. 7 months ago we consulted Shopify whether building an alternative checkout was possible or not. 

After checking this thread: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/We-ve-updated-our-API-ToU-and-Partner-Program-Agre...

And receiving these emails: https://imgur.com/a/U0t9BI0

And after checking competitors such as Zipify, Carthook, Bold and others.

We decided to go ahead and build the solution. After all, it was allowed. This solution is incredible difficult and requires a lot of work from everyone involved.

Unfortunately, this week we received the following message from Shopify's Partner team: "This email is to inform you that due to your violation of Shopify’s Partner Program Agreement, Shopify is blocking the installation of your app, effective immediately."

"As per our API Terms Section 2.3.18 reads, when using the Shopify API, you will (and will ensure that your employees, agents and service providers will): not use an alternative to Shopify Checkout for web checkout or payment processing, or register any transactions through the Shopify API, without Shopify’s express written authorization. To obtain this permission, you would have had to contact Shopify’s Partner Support, through the support section of your Partners Dashboard."

"Additionally, due to the installation requirements (disabling Shopify checkout, adding javascript), this has been causing an increase in support debt for Shopify’s support team." *

Now, after investing a lot of time and money, Shopify just killed us, while our competitors stay strong. Which is funny, since we are built in the same way our competitors are.

I wonder how Shopify intend to keep Partners in the long run, when they are treating smaller ones like this.

* our app doesn't required disabling Shopify checkout neither adding additional javascript, so I wonder which increase in support debt they were referring.

0 Likes
Explorer
63 13 17

For clarification:

Have you published your app? or Shopify blocked private app?

Thanks for reading, don’t forget to like and subscribe!
Wrong outro - Click Like and Accept as Solution if it was helpful and help other to find the answer ?
0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 1

We didn't publish our app. It's a private app. You can not find it on the App Store.

0 Likes
Explorer
63 13 17

That's interesting. Provided email looks like allows you to provide mentioned changes, but we need some clarifications from Shopify about "Shopify’s express written authorization". Because looks like it's not email from support.

I'd say it makes more sense to write directly to support in this case. 

I'm curious about your experience with this issue. Can you keep this thread updated, please?

I'd like to mention @Jason @DuaneBrown @Tejas_Nadpara @KarlOffenberger @JoesIdeas @Irene as far as I guess they have better context for this

Wrong outro - Click Like and Accept as Solution if it was helpful and help other to find the answer ?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Yes this was from Shopify. I also never thought Shopify would "immediately" block anything, but rather, try to work it out with the app owner, since they are actually your Partners. Still emailing Shopify trying to understand what our competitors are doing right that we didn't...

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 1

So far I tried to contact Shopify asking why other apps are being allowed to run while they are trying to block our app. An answer was not provided.

0 Likes
9 0 0

I received an email from Shopify to say 'Your apps are calling deprecated APIs'

The only app is calling - 'Click and Drop' - Business integration tools from Royal Mail Group Ltd.

To my question, what am I suppose to do?

No tutorials and no instructions.

0 Likes
Explorer
63 13 17

App owner should provide updates. You can contact their support to clarify when they will start use cursor-based pagination

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 1

FYI Shopify continue with the dictatorship and will revoke our API's by 20th.

We still don't know what we did different from Zipify or Carthook. 

I am surprised a company like this got to where they are now.

Good luck for all Shopify partners.

0 Likes