Why is the CustomerJourney null?

Highlighted
2 0 0

I'm attempting to use the CustomerJourney as a source of identifying conversions from specific landing pages.  However I am noticing that some of my test orders have the `customerJourney` field as null.  I'm not clear why this field would ever be null as the customer must have visited at least one page to make the order.  What does it mean when this field is null and how would you track order conversions from landing pages if this field can't be relied on?

For reference, here is the query I am making:

{
  orders(first: 10) {
    edges {
      node {
        id
        customerJourney {
          daysToConversion
          moments {
            occurredAt
            __typename
            ... on CustomerVisit {
              id
              landingPage
              occurredAt
              referralCode
              referralInfoHtml
              referrerUrl
              source
              sourceDescription
              sourceType
              utmParameters {
                campaign
                content
                medium
                source
                term
              }
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
681 47 134

Strange...when I just ran this same query it came back with results (see below). Although the 10 most recent orders didn't come back with anything. This was presumably due to my ringing the sales through Shopify POS and not through e-com, since this is just a test Shopify shop I'm using...

Untitled.png 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks for digging in so quickly!  Here's what my responses are looking like.  for some unknown reason the first two orders behaved as expected (as yours do) and had a CustomerJourney.  But subsequent orders since last night have had no data for the customerJourney field.  This is a core element of an app I want to publish so I really need to understand what's happening behind the scenes here.  I've tried making orders on Firefox and Chrome with adblockers off.

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 9.59.29 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
681 47 134

Searching the forums this appears to be a glitch that's happened before --> https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Conversion-tracking-is-not-available/td-p/581302. Hopefully someone from Shopify can comment as to what's currently going on with this.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
644 78 141

Hey @devx,

I can confirm that it's not expected for every order to show a customer journey, as there are many factors that can prevent these details coming through to Shopify. Adblockers are a possibility as you mentioned, but other things can cause this as well such as a customer opening the checkout link on a different device.

You might be having trouble during testing if you place multiple test orders through the same browser, since it's possible the session cookie is being overwritten and causing unexpected results. If you haven't already, try making sure that you start each order in an incognito window or clear you cache before starting a new order. If you're still seeing an empty customerJourney response for an order placed incognito and without ad blockers, please provide the order_id and I'll check the logs for more information.

JB | Developer Support @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes