custom app merchant install link does not work

Tourist
12 0 0

Hello, I want to use a custom NOT embedded app to manage shopify. 

I am using python api to access the backend.

I tried to install on a developer store and it worked.

When I try to install a custom app on a production store I am redirected to the allowed url I've provided and it doesn't show the installing page.

What is wrong?

thanks.

0 Likes
Explorer
68 5 14

When you installed on your own development store, did you use the link provided by the partner dashboard (more actions > test on development store > install app) or did you manually create a permission URL? For the production store, are you using the custom install link created by Shopify? 

Do you have logic written into your app so that when the store hits it, you detect whether or not they already have it installed and, if not, you route them to the OAuth permission URL?

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 0

I used test on the development store but I created a permission URL to update token.

For the production store I have used the custom install link created by Shopify .

Going to the install link I am redirected to the custom url and I got the url with the hmac, shop and timestamp. State and code are missing and I cannot proceed with the token request. Should I extract them from the hmac or something else? The prompt is not shown.

When I use a created authorization link with the api I get the prompr but the install button is not enabled.

shopify_customapp.png

0 Likes
Explorer
68 5 14

Hmm that's weird. When you say custom URL, do you mean the OAuth your callback URL or your app's URL as if it's already installed? Can you paste in the URL? 

When you say state and code are missing and you can't exchange for a token, in this case that shouldn't be possible regardless because since they never authorize the app, the app never shows as "installed" when that shop looks at their Apps, correct? 

I'm also not sure why the install button is greyed out, maybe Shopify changed it so you can't just send a merchant a regular OAuth permission URL (even if it's a custom app for their shop). Is there any kind of error message that you see on that page? 

0 Likes
1 0 0

I am getting the same error. have you found a solution?

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 0

Yes you need to create an embedded app following the tutorial here:

https://developers.shopify.com/tutorials/build-a-shopify-app-with-node-and-react/embed-your-app-in-s...

0 Likes