node.js

Tourist
11 0 0

Hello all, I need to create a system where by I am able to have people signup for my newsletter and receive unique discount codes that can only be used once per visitor. I know that shopify doesn't do that yet. So here is the question: in shopify design pages, do they allow use of node.js or other languages to allow access to server side databases or files?

Thanks for your help!

Nicholas

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
591 0 45

No. You cannot access our database servers. Everything must be done via the API.

0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 0

Thanks for the reply Chris. Wondering about accessing my own servers or files?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
591 0 45

You might be able to do something along the lines of script tags or application proxies, but none of these can actually have an effect on the checkout.

0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 0

Thanks, not trying to affect checkout. I want to be able to offer each new subscriber to my newsletter a unique discount code that can be generated by the bulk discount code app of shopify.  For this, I need to download a csv of codes and have the script access a new code every time someone signs ups. Do you see what I mean?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
591 0 45

Sure, but you'll need to make those codes when someone signs up and upload the CSV to the bulk discount app manually. There isn't an API for this at the moment.

0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 0

So you mean that everytime someone signs up I have to manually do it? I don't think that its going to be possible. Thats why I'm bringing in a developer to figure it out. So when you say there isn't an API for that you mean that a developer won't be able to do what I need?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
591 0 45

If you are using Mailchimp you can probably use their API to collect the email addresses and based on that generate the codes. Unless you need the codes to be 100% realtime, you could probably have a list of codes generated every day and upload that to the bulk discounts application.

I'd say talk to a developer about it, but you can't create discounts from the Shopify API.

0 Likes