not possible to Cancel a fulfillment when fulfilled over the Admin API

Shopify Partner
2 0 0

We are started using our own Private Apps and Admin API to fulfill orders.
During testing, we've found that from admin account it is not possible to Cancel a fulfillment, https://help.shopify.com/manual/orders/fulfill-orders#cancel-a-fulfillment
which was fulfilled by the Private App via the Admin API. 
When we fulfill an order from the web interface, canceling option is present.

What needs to be changed so that we can cancel a fulfillment also in the web interface if that order was fulfilled over the API?
Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1112 77 153

Hey there, 

I believe this behaviour is actually intentional. I can absolutely understand the merchant perspective of this problem, but at the same time from an app perspective there's a lot of room for merchant error.

For example, I'm picturing a massive headache for an app if they had to re-fulfill several orders on several shops because merchants decided to cancel the fulfillments for some reason.

In the event that a shop is reliant on an app to manage their fulfillments and tracking, I think that the app should be the one that remains in control of their own fulfillments in turn. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I still not understand why there is a difference if a fulfillment is made by an app or over the default web ui? 

Is at least an API available to cancel a fulfillment?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
16 0 3

Same issue here, we process exchanges by cancelling the original order and creating a new one. With this change, our sales figures would be inflated :(

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

So is there a flag when creating a fulfillment in the API that allows the UI to cancel it?  That seems to be the missing piece in this unintentionally poor decision of Shopify.

Joe

0 Likes