post custom price into Shopify

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

i am setting up a software system for the customization of furnture

using shopify as the platform, i would like to:

1) post from a shopify product, to my 3rd party customization process
2) and then post back to shopify with a customized price and product image, to conclude the transaction

is this readily doable, via the API or plugins?

any tips appreciated, thanks

Matt

mattSW.ART

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
486 42 106

Hi @theuntakenname,

You wouldn't be able to edit the picture or product during the checkout process, but a way to accomplish this would be to create a new product with the price and updated image after the customization process is done.  You could then generate a cart for the customer with this product already populated in it. 

Alternatively you could create a checkout with a custom price after the customization (but this wouldn't have an updated image, however you wouldn't need to create a new product).

Developer Experience @ Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
Thanks

Creating a new product for each customisation sounds like a correct solution.

However I heard there is a limit of 100 on the number of products that Shopify can handle, is this true?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
486 42 106

This is an accepted solution.

No, Shopify can support many more than 100 products, there are no limits on plans.  You may be thinking of the 100 variants per product limit.  

Developer Experience @ Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Alternatively you could create a checkout with a custom price after the customization (but this wouldn't have an updated image, however you wouldn't need to create a new product).

I have been reading the documentation for quite some time and I still don't have an idea which API to use, to set custom price in the shopping cart for product based on its properties. Can you point me to specific REST method or Graphql mutation ?

In my case, I can have very large number of variants and I don't want to pollute the admin and the online store with products.

I assume that if you create a single product for the purchase, it will be available later on the shop for other users.

0 Likes