product update web-hook firing on each sale/order

Solved
Rafay
Tourist
6 0 0
I have registered to Shopify's product web-hook using topic product/update. I am observing a completely different behavior, when ever a product is sold that fire product/update web-hook.

Has anyone else experienced same issue? or i am doing something wrong?

Any help in this regard is appreciated.

0 Likes
Josh
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1130 82 191

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there, 

I believe it was within the last year that we started to send webhooks when a product is sold, and this behaviour is intentional. If memory serves, it's the inventory of the product being touched that triggers the webhook. 

JoshHighland
Shopify Expert
59 0 19

This is an old thread but its still relevant . Has there been any talk internally around a webhook that fires when a product is updated via the admin and not a sale?

something like - product/update_admin

There is a very big difference between and admin adjusting the body / title / images etc., compared to a sale happening.

Robel
2 0 0

I have the same issue 

0 Likes
MozzoERP
Shopify Partner
63 3 7

Ditto. QuickBooks does this same thing and its annoying and causes a lot of unnecessary overhead. I get Inventory Levels have changed, but that should be a separate webhook just as it is a separate object in the Shopify database.

Chad Richardson
Mozzo Software - Modular Software that grows with you from solopreneur to a 200 person mega team. Why keep outgrowing your Shopify Apps? Start with us, and just use the modules you need, then add more as you grow. http://MozzoERP.com
0 Likes