shopify POS limitations

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hello,

I would like to ask if in the context of shopify POS app is there any possible way to "force" the customer to use an app during the checkout process? Or to launch the app automatically at some point of the flow? The basic problem we are having is that the customer can process all the order without launching our app.

As other resource we thought that we could launch our app from the shopify POS admin and there to make all the process required by our business, and then we would just add the resulting item to the cart so the customer could run the checkout process without any interruption and with our needs satisfied. But as far as we tested it, it's impossible to modify the cart content from the admin context.

Is there any way to overcome this restrictions? Can we somehow launch our app without adding anything to the cart, and still to be able to modify the content to the cart?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
593 41 118

Using the App Bridge or Embedded App SDK you can provide a different, customized front-end customer experience. Adding items to cart, modifying cart line items, etc.  Check out https://shopify.dev/tools/embedded-app-sdk and https://shopify.dev/tools/app-bridge for details. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hello Greg,

I'm afraid that this doesn't answer the question from OP.

I'm already using app-bridge in an embedded POS shopify app, the problem is that the cooperation between my app, and the POS ecosystem seems to be very limited. I can add products to the cart only if I open my app from the "edit-cart" context, and this is my problem, I would like to do the same but from different points of the POS flow. For example to add things to the cart, when I open my app from the POS admin. Is there any way to implement such a behavior?

Thanks, 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
593 41 118

@GregS1 wrote:

...I'm already using app-bridge in an embedded POS shopify app...

Sorry I wasn't aware you were already using this, since you didn't state that in your OP. I'm still confused. So you (or your customer) utilizes Shopify POS and you want to present the user a customized Shopify POS experience? If it was a web-based Shopify e-com scenario then that's totally customizable. But you are correct in that there are certain limitation in terms of what you can and cannot customize when it comes to Shopify POS. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

The current behavior allowed by shopify app-bridge:

1. user opens the POS app
  2. user adds some product to the cart
  3. user goes to the cart and start the checkout process
  4. user can press the "3 dots" menu and open my app, that has all the access to the cart information which my app uses to add the some additional parameters to the cart items
  5. user closes the app and finishes the transaction

The problem with this flow is that the customer is not forced to open the app, he can add the product and finalize the transaction without going through my app, which is not acceptable for our business.

So I have 2 dream flows that would solve the problem:

2. user opens my app from the main screen (problem nr.1)
  3. user does all the things required by our business in my app and closes the app
  4. user sees that a product was added to the cart, as a result of the things he did in my app (problem nr.2)
  5. user goes to checkout and finalizes the transaction

Or:

2. user goes to the admin POS menu
  3. user selects my app from the apps section
  4. user does all the things required by our business and closes the app
  5. user goes back to the main screen and sees that a product was added to the cart, as a result of the things he did in my app (problem nr.2)
  6. user goes to checkout and finalizes the transaction

problem nr.1 - I was not able to see how to give access to my app from the main screen of the POS app, no documentation gives any example of how to do it, so here comes the question nr.1 - Is it possible to access the app from the main screen of the POS?

problem nr.2 - If I try to access the cart API's from the ap launched via POS admin, I get an error, so question nr.2 - Is it possible to access the cart API's from any other place than the "cart-edit" context?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
163 13 26

I've asked this same question and never received a response so I don't think it's possible: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-APIs-SDKs/Can-an-embedded-app-add-modify-the-POS-cart-withou...

The "New" Shopify POS for iOS allows tiles on the home screen and the user can add your app as a tile to be accessed in just one tap (instead of the 3 dots). However, that doesn't solve your core issue. 

What does your app do? Is there anything you can do after the fact using the Orders API instead?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

My app needs to access the cart api in order to set the price of the item before the trasaction is settled. My app adds additional services to some items, and each service has its price that would be added to the price of the product.

I saw the grid with tiles, but it's the same as opening the app from the admin pos right?

@Greg_Kujawa do you see any solution for this problem?

Thanks,

0 Likes